PlayBar + S2 = Frustrating Mess

• 25 August 2023
  • 6 replies

Recently moved.

PlayBar was wired previously.

Ok, things are wonky. The PlayBar is no longer associated with my account? What?

Ok, let’s just do a factory reset and start fresh.

Both phone and PlayBar connected to the same network (PlayBar wired).

Can’t find it. 

Can’t find it. 

Can’t find it. 

Can’t find it. 

Can’t find it. 

Can’t find it. 

Ok, restart phone. Restart router. Unplug PB, replug.

Found it! 

Great, let’s set up wifi!

Cannot set up wifi while plugged in to Ethernet. Well, that’s pretty dumb, but Ok. 

Get to unplug step. It’s unplugged.

Let’s connect to SONOS local network.

Hold the play + - buttons until it blinks amber.

IT NEVER EVER BLINKS AMBER.

It will blink whitish blue, but never amber.

Ok, let’s reset everything and start from fresh.

Finally, after trying ten times it blinks amber and the app says:

Let’s reconnect your mobile devices...SONOS. (PB is solid amber now)

Great!

Press Continue!

Connecting to your Playbar…

Your mobile device couldn’t connect to your PlayBar. Move closer and make sure it is powered on. 

Seriously? It is sitting on top of it.

Continue.

Hold the play + - buttons until it blinks amber. (it is still solid amber)

Blinks white for, like, 30 seconds, or something, then just goes solid white.

Hold the play + - buttons until it blinks amber.

Huzzah! 15 seconds later it blinks amber! It must be split second timing. Literally.

PB goes solid amber and Continue.

Connect to Device screen!

Connecting to your Playbar…(PB still solid amber)

10 seconds

I would time it if I wasn’t deathly afraid of touching the phone.

More than 90 seconds have passed.

Your mobile device couldn’t connect…

PB is now blinking white.

Now it’s back to solid white.

Continue

Hold the play + - buttons until it blinks amber. I think I figured it out - press the play button first, then the -  button. Don’t try to press them at the same time or it won’t work.

I moved the phone to sit on the middle of the PB instead of the end with the buttons.

Your mobile device couldn’t connect to your PlayBar. Move closer and make sure it is powered on. 

HOLY GOD.

Ok, one more reset. This time not on LAN.

Uninstall/reinstall App.

Reset PB.

Blinking Green.

It found it after 3 minutes! Give the app ALL THE PERMISSIONS FOREVER! 

Cannot connect - move closer.

Try again.

“There was a problem during setup. Restart your mobile device or use a different one and try again...”

Are you kidding me?

Ok, restarting.

Now, what is funny is earlier I set it up on LAN and then just unplugged it and moved it to another room. Managed to connect, but the thing wouldn’t connect to the wifi network so I brought it back to my office (home office, only one network).

Open app after restart

“Add your playbar”. Ok!

Continue.

Ok, my computer WiFi sees the SONOS temp wifi network, so it’s definitely there.

Continue.

Connect to wifi (from Android I guess) Yes!

I have been trying all the variations on connecting this pathetic system to wifi for over 2 hours.

I have a 2.4 and 5 ghz mesh system.

Even my piece of trash air conditioner that only connects to the absolute cleanest 2.4 ghz connection and the worst app in the world connects to my network. The WiFi module it uses is literally something you can buy off of Amazon for $2.

If you’re reading this, it’s not just you.

If you’re going through these prompts in the app and it doesn’t make sense, it’s not just you.

If you’re confused as to why it gives you two different methods to connect to it, it’s not just you.

If the button combinations give inconsistent results then it’s not just you.

If when the local PB WiFi network is sometimes SONOS or SONOS3rerwr4534rtewrtertet then it’s not just you.

If you inspect WiFi networks and see that the SONOS network keeps stopping and starting while you are trying to connect to it, it’s not just you.

Seriously, I have played with Arduino/ESP32/Etc and a variety of other unbelievably cheap and crappy  network connections for YEARS. I’ve even used MITs app maker to make APKs to quickly and easily talk to these ultralow powered networks while living in an apartment building saturated with many dozens of networks and never had this much trouble.

I have followed every suggestion in all the threads. IGMP, allocated IPs, blah, blah, blah, blah. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Sorry: I started reading but gave up. If you’re asking for help can you give a quick summary of issues please. Or, if you’re just venting: sorry to have interrupted you!

I gave up too. I may be mistaken but I don't think there was any description of the local network architecture.

Sorry: I started reading but gave up. If you’re asking for help can you give a quick summary of issues please. Or, if you’re just venting: sorry to have interrupted you!

2 hours of time wasted following all the instructions and writing down every single step is the summary. That is the point. Here’s what I have noticed after reading dozens of help requests:

1. Someone provides a summary
  2. Someone responds with “it’s your network”
  3. That person resets their device
  4. Either it works, or it doesn’t
  5. Person gets frustrated
  6. Fanbois attack that person because it is “their fault”
  7. None of it provides any detail

So, above is the list of things I went through thinking that someone might read it and feel better about themselves because the PB firmware is a disaster.

Anyway, if you want to help then read the whole thing. 

I gave up too. I may be mistaken but I don't think there was any description of the local network architecture.

If you didn’t read it why would you know if there was any description and why would you waste your time commenting?

If you didn’t read it why would you know if there was any description and why would you waste your time commenting?

I scanned it, but my attention was wavering towards the end.

So you don’t want any help then? A full description of the network, complete with WiFi (mesh? standards/bands/channels?) would be a good place to start. Include makes/models.

same here unable to read and understand what @Ermagahd wanna say. it is request if you really wanna get help then write it short and to the point. dont mind it.