Answered

Playbar loses remote configuration after power outage

• 17 January 2023
  • 6 replies

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

This is the 2nd time this has occurred. After a brief power outage my remote control no longer controls the playbar. I try to relearn the remote but it says it’s not detected. After the 1st time it happened I setup a new surge protector and battery backup but I didn’t have the playbar plugged into the battery port so it lost power again.

The 1st time phone support helped resolve the issue but now they just keep reading a script and fail to understand the same remote has been working for years with no problems. They keep telling me my remote is not a supported device even though it’s worked previously. 

I’ve tried rebooting, relearning, but nothing works. I know there’s no problem with the remote because it controls my TV just fine. The app has no problem controlling the playbar and the sound from the playbar still works just fine. 

icon

Best answer by modestjesse 18 January 2023, 22:12

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

The Sonos App/mobile device  works to control volume via a wireless connection across the LAN, so that’s somewhat irrelevant, as the Playbar and TV remote control operate via infrared.

The power reset may have perhaps damaged the Sonos device, but equally, the remote may have been controlling the TV via infrared, but for some inexplicable reason may have lost its ‘universal’ IR ability and reverted back to a Bluetooth/RF mode. The simple first step is to use another remote that you know for sure is infrared only and just see if that works - such remotes usually have no voice control built-in and you can often see it’s IR LED working by looking at it during operation via a mobile camera.

It might help to mention too what TV make/model you are referring to here and (if relevant) go through any setup settings to switch its remote to operate as a universal remote for the Sonos products as perhaps first did when you originally setup the TV and Playbar. 

If the Playbar has become faulty and doesn’t work with other IR remotes too, then sadly there’s not a lot that can be done.

The TV is a Samsung UN65JS8500FXZA. This remote is also not detected by the sonos when trying to learn the remote but controls the TV just fine.

It’s odd the same issue happened previously and support was able to assist in resolving the issue but this time they were unable (though this last tech was stuck to his script).

Many phone/pad cameras will respond to IR input. If yours responds to IR, check to see if your remote is emitting something when you operate your remote’s Volume buttons.

The TV is a Samsung UN65JS8500FXZA. This remote is also not detected by the sonos when trying to learn the remote but controls the TV just fine.

It’s odd the same issue happened previously and support was able to assist in resolving the issue but this time they were unable (though this last tech was stuck to his script).

So is that now two remotes that are infrared which are not working? - if so, then it might be there’s an issue with the Playbar - don’t forget though that all remotes will control their corresponding TV and might be using another form of connection other than infrared, like Bluetooth etc. - so check they are using IR, if practicable, even if you have to consult the TV manual or (as a last resort) call the TV support desk. That will (hopefully) help to maybe narrow down where the fault lies.

It has been known to occur in the past that when Samsung updates the firmware on their TV set (in the background), they also turn off the IR portion of the remote, so you may need to go back through that particular process again. 

Thank you for the help. Apparently the Apple TV remote IR sensor must have been disabled at some point. (I didn’t know this was possible)

After restarting the remote I was able to relearn the remote on the playbar.

Issue resolved.