Answered

Play one's not in the right room

• 10 March 2023
  • 3 replies

I have a playbar and two play one’s I’m trying to set up in a second room (Kitchen) to extend the sound from the TV in the Great room where I have a playbar, two play 3’s and a sub which are all working as they should be.  The second playbar (Kitchen) works fine but I can’t get the play one’s to connect to the playbar in the Kitchen. When I open the kitchen room in settings it doesn’t ask me if I want to add a play one, it only gives me an option to ‘set up surrounds’ which it won’t do since it doesn’t recognize the two play one’s. On the occasion (after factory resetting and rebooting the wifi, etc) the app recognizes a play one it puts in in kitchen 2 or kitchen 3 which is obviously not the same room as the playbar. 

Help!! I have factory reset the play ones multiple times, rebooted the wifi multiple times, even did a factory reset on the playbar and both play ones and tried to start from scratch and to no avail. My app still thinks the play ones are in kitchen 2 and kitchen 3 and I can’t seem to convince it other wise.

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 10 March 2023, 20:16

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7

The Play:1s being shown as two different rooms (“kitchen 2” and “kitchen 3”) is what you want to see in the Sonos app before you add them as surrounds to the Playbar (I’m assuming is “kitchen” or “kitchen 1”).

Make sure Wi-Fi is enabled for the Playbar in the Sonos app. Then go to System and select “kitchen” (Playbar room) and tap Set up Surrounds. Then follow the app instructions. If the Play:1s aren’t showing up as options to add as surrounds, try moving them closer to the Playbar.

Stop factory resetting unless expressly told.  It accomplishes nothing that a reboot will not do, and it erases valuable diagnostic information that can be used by Sonos support.

It would appear that you added the Play:1s correctly, and the fact they are named Kitchen 2 and Kitchen 3 does not matter at that point of the install.  It’s just a placeholder.  You could call them Toad and Frog if you wished.  Once added, you then need to choose Set up Surrounds from the Playbar (Kitchen) room settings.  Choose to add the Play:1s (Kitchen 2 and Kitchen 1, or Frog and Toad 😉).  Follow the instructions, and Kitchen 2 and Kitchen 3 will be added to Kitchen and they will all be one room (which is why the initial names don’t matter a bit, you will never see them again unless you separate the surrounds). 

Thank you for the responses.  It seems that moving the two Play:1s closer to the Playbar was the ticket.  Previously when I tried to Set up Surrounds they were not recognized. but when I moved them closer to the Playbar they popped up and connected.