Answered

Partial TV control

Hi, newbie and my first question. Please be gentle.

Yesterday I took delivery of a lot of Sonos items, having first bought a Move and a Port. (Port no longer needed). Having connected the ARC to my Sony Bravia tv, model no KD55Af8 using the HDMI and optical adapter, I find that I can increase tv volume with the tv remote but cant take it back down unless I switch off the ARC. I need to have use of the tv remote to be able to change channels. Have I done something wrong? The t.v has an HDMI ARC input, but only an optical output.

icon

Best answer by mick787 8 June 2023, 23:39

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

10 replies

Userlevel 4

Hi, newbie and my first question. Please be gentle.

The t.v has an HDMI ARC input, but only an optical output.

The ARC port on your Sony is an output, not an input. If you are using the TV’s internal apps as your source, the audio will play out of the ARC (or eARC) port on the TV to your Arc soundbar via HDMI cable. If you are using an external source -- such as an Apple TV -- you will connect that device to your choice of the remaining HDMI inputs on the back of your Sony. You will need to open that HDMI port when you start your watching session (I do it by voice) Then, the audio from that device will play from the ARC HDMI output to your soundbar. Once that is done, your Sony remote can control the audio.

Thank you for your reply, sadly, it doesn't.

The t.v. remote will increase the volume for the input  that is selected for the t.v, but it despite showing it is decreasing on the t.v. display, the volume does not change downwards. The input was coming from the Freesat unit via HDMI into the t.v through the HDMI1 socket. The HDMI ARC socket is being used by my Blu Ray player. The Optical output is going via the Sonos optical adaptor and into the Sonos HDMI cable that came with the Sonos ARC. To reduce the volume I have to use the Sonos app. I dont know if I am trying to achieve the impossible.

Userlevel 4

Again, the HDMI ARC socket is for audio output to the HDMI input on the Arc soundbar. Use the remaining inputs on the TV like the inputs on an avr. All audio then routes from the TV (via HDMI ARC) to the Sonos. With the CEC setting in your TV turned on, your remote will control volume from any source connected to the other HDMI inputs on your TV. This is, IMO, the better way to connect your av devices. I have internal tv apps on HDMI 1, my Roon Bridge on HDMI 2, my Arc Soundbar is in the HDMI 3 socket (it is the on on my TV labeled as HDMI eARC), and my Oppo player is connected to HDMI 4. The ARC socket needs to be used as an output to your soundbar, not as an input. You will no longer need the optical output, and your TV remote will control all devices attached to the actual inputs. Trust me, this works.

Thank you for your patience. When I put the Sonos cable from the Sonos Arc soundbar into the HDMI Arc socket on the t.v, (marked HDMI ARC in),  I get a message on the app to saying ‘HDMI ARC not detected’. So I use the optical audio adapter. That way I at least get sound coming from the soundbar. The only control I have full control over that volume, (both up and down) is via the app and not through the t.v’s remote. With the cable like this, the soundbar cant be detected.

Userlevel 4

Two more things to try: 1) Is the TV turned on when the cable is attached? 2). Have you tried an HDMI cable you know works in place of the one you got from Sonos? Not likely the problem, but possible. After this, I am out of ideas. Sorry.

Hi, yes the t.v. is on when it is attached. I haven't tried another cable, just the one supplied by Sonos with the ARC.  Valid point, must try another cable.

One question, this may seem very silly, but should the tv HDMI ARC cable be connected to the Sonos Amp and not the soundbar? The ARC sound bar is what I’m trying to connect to the t.v. I ask this because I also get this message on the app. (See attached). If a HDMI cable should link the amp to the t.v. via the HDMI ARC socket, then how would the ARC soundbar get its input, via wi-fi? I’m at a loss. But I will try another cable tomorrow.

Things might be flustered at this point. Disconnect all of the HDMI’s from the TV and power down both TV and ARC. Keep the HDMI cable disconnected when you restart the TV, then make sure that the TV’s BRAVIA SYNC is enabled. Now, connect ARC’s HDMI cable to input #3. The TV and ARC should discover each other.

With respect to Volume control when using the TV’s remote, this usually works only when viewing TV.

Connect the TV to ARC. If you want to use AMP to drive surround speakers, add AMP to ARC don’t connect the TV to AMP. At this point AMP will be absorbed into the ARC Room.

Thank you for your comments Buzz, I will try it tomorrow, (powering down etc). I understand the Sonos Arc soundbar doesn't need to be unplugged. At this time, the only way we can have increasing and decreasing t.v. volume control with the t.v remote control is with the Sonos Arc unplugged. At least I know the ARC shouldn't be connected to the Sonos amp. I have a couple of things to try tomorrow. I thank yourself and jonmichael for your ideas. I will also look for the ‘Bravia sync’ option on the tv.

I apologise for not updating sooner. Buzz, a special thank you; it was all about Bravia Sync.

I found it on the t.v’s menu and I could see all the components attached to the ports on the t.v. Once sync was enabled, it all works fine the way I wanted it to including the various Sony remotes having control.

Very happy, great sound. What’s even better is that the wife likes it!