Skip to main content

Optimal Era 300 rear speaker placement for home cinema using wall mounts

• 26 November 2023
  • 3 replies

I’m installing a Sonos Arc, Sub gen 3 and two Era 300 rear speakers to create a surround sound setup in the below reception room.

The 65” TV will be mounted on the wall with an Arc underneath it where the fireplace is shown on this plan. TV height will be around eye level when seated (if relevant door is going to open against the other wall too).

What I’m not sure is the positioning of where to put the two Era 300 rear speakers. They’re going to be wall mounted, and I’m thinking I’m thinking one of two options shown below in blue and red.

The red option looks more aligned with recommended placement, but I’m concerned they may be too close together — there will be a 3 seater sofa against that wall which will be the primary viewing spot.

The blue option is centred better for the room and less noticeable. But I’d need them pointing down and my concern is its too high and goes against the recommended placement from Sonos.

I’d be grateful for recommendations on optimum placement. Given the setup I’ve purchased I really want to ensure it shines in the space I have. 

Finally, in terms of mounts, would you recommend the Sonos Era 300 wall mounts or others?

Thanks in advance.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

I would not use Era 300’s in this room for a HT setup, as they each use the side-outer speakers when used as HT surrounds and are designed to face forward towards your TV. So the Rear-Right speaker is much too close to the wall, no matter at what height you choose to set it.

My thoughts are to use Era-100/One/One-SL speakers instead and to put them on stands, set at head height (when seated), giving you the flexible option to move the Rear-Left speaker out in front of the doorway for wider rear channel audio, that’s if they do not work well for you when placed narrower behind the seated/listening area.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Since you have them try putting one on the red circle by the door and the other 3 feet in from the wall on the left. It isn’t going to be optimal but it may sound decent.

Use temporary stands to check out the sound.

Thanks both for your replies. Whilst I know the placement isn’t optimal, I’m keen to try and experience the fully immersive Atmos experience that the Era 300s are capable of.

I’ll try with the configuration as per the red circles ensuring there’s 8” of space from the wall as per the install guide.

Having the speakers on floor stands with one in the doorway will be too cumbersome — I’m keen to mount them and leave it at that once I’ve found a preferred position.

I presume there’s tweaks I can make using the Sonos app too to help.