Answered

Ongoing Wi-Fi dropouts / issues with Ben (Gen 2) and Sub (Gen 3)

• 5 January 2023
  • 1 reply

Hi,

I am hoping to get some assistance with a problem that seems to be occurring once or twice a week and usually involves spending upwards of 30 minutes trying to resolve.

I have had a Sonos system since 2014. Currently the system is comprised of a Move, Roam, an IKEA Symfonisk Lamp (Gen 1), a Beam (Gen 2) and a Sub (Gen 3).

All of the products are connected via a Wi-Fi network. I do not have the Sonos Boost box.

It seems that occasionally (perhaps 1-2 times per a week on average), I lose Wi-Fi connectivity in the house. Usually this is resolved without any intervention from myself and the Move, Roam and Lamp all seem to reconnect to the Wi-Fi network by themselves and don’t cause any issues.

With regards the Beam / Sub, one of two things can happen:

1. Beam still shows up in the Sonos App but with a “?” next to it, implying that the Sub is missing. Powering off the Sub at the wall and rebooting does not fix the issue. If I want to add the Sub back to the system I have to power off at the wall and hold the ‘Join’ button when reconnecting. This allows me to get the Sub connected to the Sonos system again, but if I want to pair it with the Beam then I invariably have to go through the same process with the Beam (resetting) to add it back to get the two to pair.
  1. Today the Wi-Fi disconnected completely in the house and required a reboot to bring everything back online with internet connectivity. Lamp, Move and Roam all reconnected themselves quite happily, but the ‘Living Room’ (containing the Beam and Sub) in my Sonos app had completely disappeared. I had to repeat the steps outlined above to get everything reconnected to the Sonos system. I now have the Beam and Sub showing in the Sonos App, but if I try to pair the two, then I get an error message saying “There was a problem adding your Sub. Check the network connection and make sure the product is powered on”. If I do try and connect the Sub to the Beam, it also kills the connection to the network from the Beam (I am unable to queue music in Spotify on the Beam, although it receives audio from the TV fine).

I now have the Beam and Sub both connected to the Sonos system but they are not paired. I can play music and the TV audio through the Beam. The Sub is currently a very expensive paperweight.

I understand that having at least one product wired is preferrable, but at the moment this is not feasible.

I have rarely had any trouble with Sonos products in the past until I purchased the Sub. I suspect that the Beam would work perfectly fine and not give me any strife without the Sub being reconnected to it. The room they are in is 18ft x 15ft, although the Sub and Beam are about 3ft from each other. My iPhone tells me that the Wi-Fi connection where the Sub and Beam are located is full strength.

At this stage I am wondering if it would have been better to simply have purchased the Arc and not bothered with the Sub.

Sorry this has been so long, thank you to anyone who has persevered in reading this. Any help from the Sonos team would be appreciated!

icon

Best answer by Corry P 6 January 2023, 10:56

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @orangepants 

Thanks for your post!

There are a few possibilities for what’s going wrong here, from WiFi interference to router configuration to conflicts with other devices on the network.

While I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team for some real-time troubleshooting, you can also submit a support diagnostic and reply here with the number given and I’ll take a look for you.

It will be much easier for me to help you if you could please describe your network topology in full - for example, do you have a mesh WiFi system, and if so, do you also still have a router?