One SL drops audio but only when it's part of a surround setup

• 19 October 2020
  • 5 replies

I have a playbase with a Sonos One and a One SL as surrounds. The Playbase is connected directly to my router.

If I am playing audio from Spotify, Sonos radio or my own music library the One SL keeps cutting out sound intermittently. I have swapped the SL with another Sonos One from elsewhere in the house and have found that its only the SL that has the problem.

I have removed it from the surround setup as a standalone and the audio is fine however when I put the surround back together the issue comes back.

I have been through the motions. Wifi channel. Sonos Channel etc. I have also tried to connect it to the router by cable and the problem still exists which rules out a WiFi issue I think.

I have hit a wall guys. Anyone have any suggestions?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @Tina and Lee, Thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community. Sorry to hear about this issue. About this concern, I want to ask some questions to check on this issue. 

• When did the issue start happening?
  • Have you tried to do a sequential reboot on the Sonos speakers? (unplug the speakers for 1-2 minutes and plug it back in)
  • Are there any changes that were made before this issue happened?

Answers to those questions will certainly help us in determining form where the issue is coming from. 

Let us know what you have in mind with the advice above.

The Sonos community is always here to help.

I have almost The same problem. If I great a stereo pair they can't play the music from a different room. The music doesn't play although the pixel shows music playing. If I play a separate song in the living room they work. If I than connect it to the other rooms, music drops. 

If I disconnect the stereo pair I can play 2 different songs in the same room. If I put them on of of the others songs playing one of the boxes goes silent. 

If I add them both to the other rooms they both go silent. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @Ubbo, Thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community and for the information that you provided. So that we can take a look at the status of your Sonos system, I’ll ask you to submit a diagnostic report to investigate further what could be causing this issue. You may reply to the thread with the confirmation number to assist you with this issue.  

Let us know what you have in mind with the advice above.

The Sonos community is always here to help.

Hi Simon,

Thank you for your response, I’ve finally chatted with someone and he found out it was a problem with the interference of wifi boosters. This is pretty annoying as my old gen 1 setup did not have this problem. I ended up buying a Sonos booster to get back to a working setup. To be frank, this is not meeting up my expectations at all. I have invested a 1000 euro extra to get to something which I already had, with a very annoying setup, an unreachable support department (3 weeks to get to a diagnose) and buying another device to get a network working again. My old perfectly working Sonos does not work in this setup unless I go back with everything to gen 1. Which defies the purpose. 

Not a very happy costumer. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @Ubbo, thanks for the update. Thanks for bringing this up and I know where you're coming from. in regards to this issue. If you’ve already contacted our phone support team, then they should be able to provide the best options and resolution regarding this issue. 

If there is anything else I can do for you, please, don’t hesitate to let me know.  
We're here to answer any further questions you have.