Answered

Not getting Atmos from Netflix

• 21 November 2022
  • 25 replies

Badge

So I have a Samsung NU8000/8070. It has had a Samsung firmware update so effectively has eARC sound options are Dolby digital and Dolby digital plus. Sky Q will play in Atmos (confirmed via Sonos app) when the Q box is set to DD+ and the tv sound is set to DD+. But on Netflix, nothing play in Atmos, says it is playing in DD+ 5.1, the tv is still set to DD+ so I am not sure why it won’t play in Atmos, I have nextfkix premium, so I have access to Dolby Atmos, everything shows as 5.1 on the Netflix main menu and doesn’t change in film. Any ideas? 

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 21 November 2022, 23:33

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

25 replies

Userlevel 7

The Sky Q box doesn’t support Dolby Atmos audio on the Netflix app. If you want Dolby Atmos audio from Netflix, use the TV’s native Netflix app.

If you still have issues getting Dolby Atmos, log in to your Netflix account on a web browser and go to your profile settings. Under Playback Settings, make sure “Data usage per screen” is set to HIGH.

Badge

The Sky Q box doesn’t support Dolby Atmos audio on the Netflix app. If you want Dolby Atmos audio from Netflix, use the TV’s native Netflix app.

If you still have issues getting Dolby Atmos, log in to your Netflix account on a web browser and go to your profile settings. Under Playback Settings, make sure “Data usage per screen” is set to HIGH.

Sorry, should have been more clear, I was using the natice Samsung Netflix app. Apple TV app works and pushes Dolby Atmos, so does selected prime. Netflix and Disney won’t though

Userlevel 7

Samsung TVs don’t support Dolby Atmos audio on the native Disney+ app but it should support it on Netflix. 

Did you log in to your Netflix account on a web browser and change the “Data usage per screen” setting to HIGH?

One other important note: Dolby Atmos is usually only on the original language audio track.

Badge

That explains it with Disney plus, I have logged into Netflix on my phone using the app and it says higher instead of standard for quality, I can’t find a quality setting anywhere using my laptop on the web app? 

I’m listening to the original soundtrack on everything (English) 

Badge

Update, just found the setting, it was set to auto, but everything played in 4K UHD on the app, changed it anyway. I can’t understand why it is forcing only DD+ for audio 

Userlevel 7

Log in to your account on the Netflix website on a web browser, not the app. Then go to Account > Profile & Parental Controls > Playback settings. Set “Data usage per screen” to HIGH.

Userlevel 7

If you play the film Don’t Look Up on Netflix, what audio format is displayed in the Sonos app?

Badge

Dolby Digital Plus 5.1

Userlevel 7

I guess your TV doesn’t support Dolby Atmos on the Netflix app either. Sorry.

You have a premium Netflix subscription?

Edit sorry, stated in first post

Badge

I do indeed, although I just checked the Samsung app info and the app hasn’t had an update since 2018, probably why it doesn’t work! 

I do indeed, although I just checked the Samsung app info and the app hasn’t had an update since 2018, probably why it doesn’t work! 

Apologies. I realised you had stated you had a premium account in the original post but too late.

I had great difficulty getting Atmos out of Netflix and have only just succeeded. 

My 2016 LG OLED TV would not support Atmos from internal or external sources. Got round that with an eARC extractor. I fed that with a Fire TV stick 4K, only to discover that for some random reason it would not play Atmos on Netflix. Finally got it to work with a fire TV stick 4K Max.

Badge

I was thinking about getting an Apple TV 4K for the same get around, but worried about similar lip sync issues I get with the Sky Q Atmos stuff? Basically using the TV as the pass through? 

That's another reason I use an eARC extractor. That has solved my lip sync issues by sending audio direct to the Arc. I use an HDFury Arcana. It's expensive, but a few cheaper alternatives seem to be appearing. 

That felt like a nudge, John :)

There is the HD Fury Arcana, the Feintech VAX04101k, and the latest, and least expensive, I think,  is the OREI HDA-935. Check your local retailers for availability, or Amazon. You can also order from those links from the companies directly, I think. 

Badge

Appreciate the input from you Both! Ok cool, appreciate the advice, would it create any further issues with lip sync from the TV’s native apps? 

Any of those external devices (sorry, John, didn’t mean to step on your toes) would alleviate any delay caused by the TV set. They essentially strip the audio from the HDMI before it reaches the TV. 

If the issue happens to be the SkyQ box, then no. 

Badge

No completely get the idea of it, I’m more thinking for the Netflix Samsung app let’s say, you would now be doing what the Sky Q box has to do and originate from source, go to a middle external device and then to the arc. Did I explain that well? 😅

I don't think so.  I haven't tried to play the internal apps and I'm not sure it's possible with the Arcana   My Fire TV 4K max has all the apps I want. Black Friday offers have it at £27.

Badge

Hmmm, ok good for though, appreciate your help! 

Yes, the Arcana can do internal apps, but it’s not elegant (IMHO) .

See their “getting started” diagrams. Not really something I’d want to do. Much better with an external to the TV streaming device than trying to use the ARC/eARC signal from the TV.

I think you could run HDMI from Sky Q and a Fire TV stick to an HDMI switch. Out from switch to eARC extractor. Extractor sends video to TV and audio to Arc.

This is very much like what I do except I have a fire TV stick and a Blu-ray player into the switch. 

Badge

I think you could run HDMI from Sky Q and a Fire TV stick to an HDMI switch. Out from switch to eARC extractor. Extractor sends video to TV and audio to Arc.

This is very much like what I do except I have a fire TV stick and a Blu-ray player into the switch. 

I think at this point I might just replace the TV with something that the native apps support Atmos and no reported Lip Sync issues, have heard the LG CX line seems to be pretty solid, I would go for the G2 I think and hope for the best haha

I think there is always a risk of lip sync issues and it can be hard to get a definitive answer pre-purchase. Caveat emptor.

Badge

Sky just need to sort their Q box, they charge enough per month for it!