no sound in surround speakers with.5.1

I have connected arc - sub mini + 2 sonos one sl.

In dolby digital 5.1 there is no sound in surround  spearkers

My tv is sony xh90

Sound is in dolby digital 

Any idea?

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

What does the Sonos app say you are receiving? What are your TV’s sound settings?

Userlevel 7

Make sure the TV is set to these settings:

eARC: Auto

Digital Audio Out: Auto 1

Dolby Digital Plus Output: Dolby Digital Plus

Pass Through Mode: Auto

App say dolby digital plus 5.1

Tv sound settings

Earc mode: auto

Digital output: auto2

Dolby digital plus output: dolby digital

Userlevel 7

@Cpocpo Set Digital Audio Out to Auto 1 and if there is a Pass Through Mode setting, set it to Auto.

@Cpocpo Set Digital Audio Out to Auto 1 and if there is a Pass Through Mode setting, set it to Auto.

The same

Sonos app say dolby digital plus 5.0

Only sound if is a movie or serie but for example soccer or F1 not

Userlevel 7

If you are hearing audio from the surround speakers when playing a movie or TV show, then  soccer and F1 is probably only being broadcasted in a lower quality stereo.

If you are hearing audio from the surround speakers when playing a movie or TV show, then  soccer and F1 is probably only being broadcasted in a lower quality stereo.

But anyway app sonos say dolby digital plus 5.0.......

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Cpocpo 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

If you have wired your Arc to ethernet and have disabled WiFi on the Arc, please re-enable WiFi on the Arc as the surrounds need it to be on to receive the surround sound data feed from the Arc. By all means, keep the Arc connected to ethernet - it will still use the cable.

If, however, you have not connected your Arc to ethernet, I recommend you reboot the Arc by unplugging it from power for a moment, and if that doesn’t fix the problem, please get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.

It could very well be 2.0 stereo being converted to a broadcast standard of 5.1 (seen in your system as 5.0).  Unfortunately, aside from asking the broadcaster what the original format is, there’s no way of knowing for certain if this is the case.  But I would assume it is the format at fault if you are receiving 5.1 from other sources. 

It could very well be 2.0 stereo being converted to a broadcast standard of 5.1 (seen in your system as 5.0).  Unfortunately, aside from asking the broadcaster what the original format is, there’s no way of knowing for certain if this is the case.  But I would assume it is the format at fault if you are receiving 5.1 from other sources. 

I suppose it is format because in movies or tv series or maybe in the main menu surround sounds perfect.

I’ve had exactly this experience before in Austin , TX. The local CBS affiliate (if memory serves, it’s been a few years) was using a 5.1 carrier, but the Cowboys preseason games were actually in stereo. So my system thought it was getting a 5.1 signal from the local station, but the center channel, surrounds, and Sub were receiving no data at all, only the front right and front left channels were active.

It was pretty frustrating. Not only do I hate the Cowboys, but it made watching the games, hoping for them to lose, pretty intolerable. 

Badge

I watch BBC HD and app shows Dolby 5.0 but system plays no sound from surrounds. If i change to say Amazon and play a movie the app changes to Dolby 5.1 and the surrounds kick in.

I watch BBC HD and app shows Dolby 5.0 but system plays no sound from surrounds. If i change to say Amazon and play a movie the app changes to Dolby 5.1 and the surrounds kick in.

Exact!!!