Answered

No Dolby Atmos on Amazon Prime Video or HBO Max

• 1 February 2024
  • 7 replies

I am able to get Dolby Atmos sound when watching shows on Apple TV+ and Disney+, but not when streaming from Amazon Prime Video or HBO Max. I am only getting Dolby Digital Plus (DD+) 5.1 with those two services, despite that the content has the Dolby Atmos badge under the title screen.

My system is as follows:

Surround sound: Sonos Beam (gen 2) paired with a sub mini and two Era 100s (as surrounds). This is plugged into the eARC hdmi port.

TV: Sony Bravia - XR X90L (2023)

Streaming Device: Apple TV 4k (3rd generation). This is plugged into  4k/120hz hdmi 2.1 port

I’ve tried playing around with some audio setting on both the ATV and the TV, but so far, I can’t get HBO nor Amazon to play Atmos, yet Disney and Apple TV+ don’t have an issue. I will also say that I tested the native Amazon app on the Sony platform, and that also only gives DD+ 5.1. My Netflix subscription doesn’t support Atmos, so I can’t test that application.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 1 February 2024, 18:59

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Ahh, I see. I just subscribed to the ‘Ad-Free’ tier of Prime Video and now get Dolby Atmos audio. It looks like premium audio will come at a premium price.

Userlevel 7

Both Max and Prime Video recently changed their subscription tiers. On Max, you need the “Ultimate Ad-Free” plan to get 4K and Dolby Atmos. On Prime Video, you need the “Ad Free” plan to get Dolby Atmos.

The other think to note with the Amazon Prime Movie App aswell, is it requires a 4K TV display to get Atmos audio and so you’ll only get DD+ 5.1 audio if you have a 1080P TV display (at least that’s now the case in the U.K. even with their ad-free plan).

That’s currently not the case with the Netflix App however, it (Atmos) works with a 1080P display  - but Netflix is now somewhat expensive (I guess) at £18 per month, that’s in comparison to some other available streaming services.

I resolved the issue and I now get Atmos content on Prime, but the options are more limited than I had hoped for. I’ll probably cancel the ad free plan. 

I pay for no ads on Prime and I do not get any Atmos content. 

HBO Max requires the highest level ad free 4K account.  Prime only has a few Atmos titles.  Try Jack Ryan, any season.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

What TV? Do you use the original language for the movie (other language versions are often without Atmos)?