No audio on Sonos Arc paired with Samsung AU8000 (2021 model)

• 16 July 2021
  • 2 replies

I have my Sonos Arc connected to the Samsung UA65AU8000KXXM (2021 Crystal UHD). My sources are: native Netflix TV app and the new Apple TV 4K.

I’ve read about “sound cutting in/out with Arc + Samsung TV”, but this is slightly different.

The problem: intermittently no audio from the Arc at the START of the movie (either playing from TV Netflix app or Apple TV Netflix/Disney apps). Sometimes the audio comes on after 10-30secs. Sometimes it doesn’t at all, and I need to exit the movie, try some other movies and after 2-3 tries, it works. But once the audio comes on, I’ll have no issues for the rest of the movie (except for once, that I can accept). 

Settings on the TV appear to be correct (eARC, Passthrough, Atmos) - and when it works, the Sonos S2 App does display “Dolby Atmos”. 

I called Samsung Tech Support and they very quickly pointed the problem to Sonos. I’m talking to Sonos Tech Support right now but am curious if anyone here sees a similar problem?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi,

I had a similar thing with my 2019 Samsung, but was only affecting HDMI source sound, built in apps were fine. But anything via HDMI would take a while to come through to Beam.

this was all HDMI Arc, not eARC though.

In the end Samsung sent out an engineer who replaced the main board in the TV and it resolved the issue.

took a while to sort it out with Samsung though initially…. once they had done all their troubleshooting, resets re-installations etc.

Thanks BMF. I will keep this in mind as I continue experimenting. 

I’m trying to collect more data sets (not exactly “scientific” but “good enough” :sunglasses: ) with various cable/input/TV/source. Attaching here (it’s WIP), hope it’s view-able. 

At this point, problem is most consistent (60% chance) when playing via the “Disney+Hostar App” from Apple TV 4K. I am located in Malaysia and am wondering if Disney’s streaming quality in this region is sub-par.