Skip to main content
Answered

My Samsung - 65" Class S90C OLED TV will not play sound on Sonos Beam

• 3 December 2023
  • 11 replies

I had Best Buy Geek Squad set up my TV and Sonos Beam. It worked fine for a week. Now I cannot get the TV to play sound through the Sonos Beam.

I have gone through the setup several times

1. Unplug everything and replug into outlet.
  2. In the Sonos app I followed the instructions
    1. Connect HDMI cable to Sonos Beam
    2. Connect HDMI cable to HDMI ARC port
    3. Clicked the ‘Connected to ARC’ button
    4. I’m told to ‘Use your TV remote to turn on ARC Mode in sound settings’ - I go to TV and tried steps 3, 4, 5 several ways.
    5. I Click on ‘Test Connection’
    6. I get message ‘ARC Mode not connected’
  3. In the Samsung TV I go to All Settings > Connection > External Device Manager > Enable ‘Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC)
  4. Going to All Settings > Sound > Sound Output > (My only choices are TV Speakers, Receiver(Optical), and Bluetooth) - I kept it a TV Speakers.
  5. Going to All Settings > Sound > Expert Setting > I have tried ‘HDMI eARC Mode both as ‘Off’ and ‘Auto’ - When I pick ‘Auto’ the Sonos Beam plays but the TV remote will not control the volume and when I shut the TV off and turn it back on the sound reverts to TV. I can only get sound through the Sonos Beam by resetting HDMI eARC Mode to ‘Off’ then back to ‘Auto’

I am having the same issue. Would hope to see an answer to this thread soon.

The message I get is ARC Mode not connected 

Is your HDMI cable fully inserted? 

Is it in the Arc or eArc port of the TV?

Maybe look here:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/error-when-connecting-sonos-home-theater-product-to-tv

This problem persists. The solution by Geek Squad, Samsung and Sonos tech support is to unplug both TV and Beam, whisch does work for a while (a few weeks) but I bought the TV and Beam on Nov 24th and I have had to do this reset 4 times now. The Samsung TV and Sonos Beam are not compatable and both Samsung and Sonos should admit it.

Have similar issue between Samsung S90c tv and beam.  No sound from beam except my TV recognizes Sonos Beam BUT only silence when selected and TV speaker gets automatically invoked after 10 seconds or so with Sonos Beam failure.  Sonos Beam plays music from phone wonderfully, but not from TV.

I tried new cables, eArc port, non-EArc port, power off all.  

Have you called Sonos Support directly to discuss it?

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your network and Sonos system.

If I were to guess, the issue is more likely to be with the TV generating an ARC signal for the speaker to read/play. I’d double check the TV for updates, then unplug it from the wall for three minutes, to force it to reload the OS. 

Thxs Bruce.  Phone support was better in isolating problem ....which was my Directv Cable box and new Samsung TV . competing for ARC control. Solutions a little ify but hoping going to optical or cec-less HDMI??

Optical has bandwidth issues, the best you can get is Dolby Digital. I’d go CEC less HDMI by putting one of those Lindy devices on one of the cables, if you can’t turn off CEC on the device causing the issue. 

And I’d be complaining to DirecTV, too. I know I didn’t have an issue with their ‘Genie’ box back a couple of years ago, though they do tend to update both hardware and software on their systems fairly frequently. But back when I was a DirecTV customer, they had extremely limited Atmos content (basketball games for pay?), so going with optical wouldn’t have been an issue at the time. As I say, it’s been a few years since I dealt with them, I’m sure things may have changed. 

Thxs again.

My concern with cec-less hdmi is I could lose control on TV pwr, TV volume (Sonos) from Directv remote??  ...making it a two remote TV ..... ugly!

Thanks for tip on Directv.  I am embarrassed  to say how old my DVR's is .... like 15+ yrs ...so maybe newer ones will play nice.

Learning way more than I intended.  Plug n play was my expectation.  Makes sense the oldest eqpt could be causing headaches.

I recall at one point (maybe when I moved to Texas? Ages ago), I got their new Genie model. Well, it was newer at the time. I didn’t have any difficulties with that device on a Vizio, when I updated to a Sonos Arc using ARC. 

Thanks to all who responded on CEC conflict between new S90c Samsung TV and Sonos beam.

Placing a cec-less adapter on the HDMI cable from Directv box neutralized the cec fight between Samsung S90c and Directv cable box.  Also, I have full use of my Directv's remote (TV pwr, TV volume (Sonos) and Directv cable box)

I love happy endings..