Skip to main content

My Magic Remote for my 2016 LG B6 used to control my Beam Gen 1 volume just fine (connected via optical because I need all of the HDMI ports for devices).

Out of the blue it no longer does so and I’m forced to use the iOS app or the physical buttons on the Beam. I’ve tried following all kinds of guides to no avail.

Sonos is still missing from the manufacturer list on the B6 when you try Device Connections setup too, so all the guides suggesting that step are no good. Tried tricking it with the old Phillips/remote type 4, that doesn’t work either  

Only things that changed recently:

Updated iOS and the Sonos app on my phone. Update the system firmware through the Sonos app and re-ran Trueplay. Everything is still physically plugged in to the same locations  

Any ideas or a known fix?

Most often, this is a result of the TV itself receiving a firmware update that actually reaches out to the remote and turns off IR. You should be able to go through the Sonos FAQ for the magic remote another time, and make the ‘fix’.

Most often, this is a result of the TV itself receiving a firmware update that actually reaches out to the remote and turns off IR. You should be able to go through the Sonos FAQ for the magic remote another time, and make the ‘fix’.

Already went through that FAQ. Didn’t fix it. 

Note when you search for Sonos in the manufacturers list in the TV’s device connector, the search is case sensitive - so perhaps try searching using ‘Sentence case’ - it should locate Sonos for you to select.🤞

Note when you search for Sonos in the manufacturers list in the TV’s device connector, the search is case sensitive - so perhaps try searching using ‘Sentence case’ - it should locate Sonos for you to select.🤞

Sonos is not in the list in any combination of upper or lower case searching. The only manufacturers that begin with S in the list are Samsung, Sharp, SKB TV, and Sony. 

Note that while the TV still gets updates from time to time, it’s approaching 8 years old at this point. 

I have the slightly newer C9 OLED and I find ‘Sonos’ when I search within my device connector? I can’t believe it has a different database, but that said I’m over in the U.K. so maybe that’s why? 

See this older community thread too…

Thanks, I’ll try the location change (I’m in the US so I’m not sure what other ramifications changing to UK might have).

But I would tend to concur with the author of that other thread that this problem is the result of an LG firmware update. If you’ll recall from my initial post, my setup was all working perfectly fine a few of weeks ago and this all started out of the blue. I think I’ll submit a ticket to LG next.