Skip to main content

Hi

I have some really annoying issues with my Sonos ARC.

I’ll try to describe it as thorough as possible. I have a Samsung 2016 UE55KS8005, non e-ARC tv. audio settings on the tv is set to PCM. When playing anything from my Apple TV 4K, there is no sound at all. I also tried changing audio format on the ATV to all available formats, 5.1 and stereo but no difference.

When just using the built in apps in the tv and with Apple TV disconnected there is sound coming through my Sonos ARC and it works as expected.

A workaround is when playing something on the Apple TV, is to disconnect Sonos arc from hdmi and reconnecting it again, then it works, but just until what you currently is watching, when you play something else, then it’s all quiet again.

Even if it works with the ATV disconnected, I still think it’s the tv not being able to process the audio in some way.

Apple TV is running 14.3, but also tried 14.4 beta but same result.

diagnostic 752118694.

I really would like my arc to work, thanks for the help!

I spent a few hours troubleshooting it, adding and removing soundbar, changing audio settings but nothing worked. The last thing I tried before I was literally off to buy a new tv was to change hdmi ports. I’m my case i moved my Apple TV from hdmi 1 to hdmi 2, and it there again. Sound is filling the roo. I have tried to break the connection but haven’t succeeded so far, so fingers crossed. If someone else bumps into the same issue this might help.

And we are back to normal shitty state again. I don’t know if it’s the tv or the soundbar causing it but I’m really pi**ed right now. Can someone help out? I didn’t expect to buy a new tv when switching from old soundbar to arc.

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the community guidelines.*

Why is your TV audio set to PCM? What other audio options does your TV have?

What are your audio expectations from the Apple TV to the Sonos Arc? Do you want to get Dolby Atmos audio, Dolby Digital 5.1 or are you ok with stereo 2.0?

I only have pcm or bitstream as options on the tv as audio format.

The expectations I have is that sound is playing from the Apple TV. I don’t have e-arc so I don’t expect atmos and I just have the arc and sub so I guess stereo is fine.

the thing is the some apps on Apple TV is working fine, like netflix and Disney but prime and a swedish app, SVT Play is not playing any audio at all.

other sources like ps5, raspberry pi is working fine as well. 

What happens if you set your TV to bitstream and set the Apple TV to Dolby Digital 5.1? Orsetting TV to PCM and Apple TV to Stereo?

I tried bitstream on tv and output on tv as Dolby digital and it works! Leaving Apple TV with default settings. The thing is that the settings are rather inconsistent, some times one settings works and then it stops and another setting works the next time. Previously PCM both format and output worked but doesn’t now.

thanks for the help anyway, I’m not really sure why it sometimes works and other times not. Let’s hope it continues to work.

Sorry, flagged my own post as best answer and can’t undo it :)