Skip to main content

Hey folks, looking for some advice.  After a bit of messing around I finally managed to get my app (through Android not IOS) to recognize that I was receiving an Atmos signal from my 4k player and the Netflix app.

However my current issue is that when I test it the speech from the ARC is very muffled, that’s testing it on Ready Player One 4K disc and both Lost in Space and Bright via Netflix.  The confusing thing is that the speech eventually fixes itself but it takes a fairly long time to adjust.  I’ve tried adjusting various settings but nothing seems to be working.  Everything was bought just before or just after Christmas and this is the first chance I’ve had to put everything together.  HDMI cables are all fine but wondering if I should try the one that was supplied with the ARC or not.

Someone criticized the placement of my ARC as it is only about 3 or 4 inches of the ground below the TV, this was necessary as the damn TV is so big it takes up the majority of the surface.

Any advice is more than welcome.

Try the HDMI cable that was supplied with the Arc. Also try unplugging the Arc and TV from power for about a minute.

Be sure your TV settings are set to this:

Sound Out: HDMI ARC

HDMI Input Audio Format: Bitstream

Digital Sound Out: Pass Through

eARC: on

Auto Device Detection: On

Simplink (HDMI-cec): On

Auto Power Sync: Off

I swapped out the cable for the supplied one and, fingers crossed, it seems to be OK.  Just need to keep an eye on it!

Try the HDMI cable that was supplied with the Arc. Also try unplugging the Arc and TV from power for about a minute.

Be sure your TV settings are set to this:

Sound Out: HDMI ARC

HDMI Input Audio Format: Bitstream

Digital Sound Out: Pass Through

eARC: on

Auto Device Detection: On

Simplink (HDMI-cec): On

Auto Power Sync: Off

Damn it, so close.  Switched on the TV this morning and tested it again and as per ususal the speech coming through was distinctly muffled.  After going through the source backwards and forwards a couple of times (Lost in Space on Netflix) it seemed to right itself and sounded OK.  Is it normal for the Arc to take a while to adjust to the source material?  Again I’m getting a Dolby Atmos source according to the app.

No, it is not normal. Are you using your TV’s native Netflix app or the app on your UHD player?

No, it is not normal. Are you using your TV’s native Netflix app or the app on your UHD player?

I’m using the TV app.

Is it only with Dolby Atmos content that you experience the muffled dialog?

Is it only with Dolby Atmos content that you experience the muffled dialog?

Yeah, stereo is fine.  I was having issues with Atmos on Netflix earlier so I switched to the Panasonic player and put on Fury Road and the audio was fine, switched back over to the Netflix app and it was fine.  It was like it kicked it into working.  I'm not going to be watching movies all the time but I wish I didn't have to do so much messing around to get it to play nice.

How about content that is in Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital Plus but not Dolby Atmos?

How about content that is in Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital Plus but not Dolby Atmos?

I'd switched over to those before selecting Atmos and they seemed fine.  I'm going to try and raise the Arc at some point to see if that makes any difference, I have a feeling it won't matter though.