Answered

Issue Pairing Universal Remote to Sonos Arc with IR

• 18 May 2021
  • 2 replies

Hi - I’m trying to set up a universal GE remote to control the volume of my Sonos Arc.

• The listed 4-digit code for Sonos is 1796. When I use this code, volume down works, but volume up does not.
  • I’ve also tried going to “Remote Control Setup” in settings. It says to press volume + on the remote; when I do this, I see the white light on the Sonos Arc indicating it was received, then the app says I can now use the remote. However, I then have the same problem: no response to volume up.
  • I’ve also tried the remote control setup with a random tv code set up on the universal remote.

I’m actually trying to get my Apple TV remote to work following the instructions here: https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3403?language=en_US

I can’t set up the Apple TV remote if the universal remote won’t work for it to learn from. Sonos setup did find the CEC signal, but Apple TV isn’t aware I have a sounder to control; it’s been quite a painful process. 

Thanks in advance for any help.

icon

Best answer by AARONSEATTLE 18 May 2021, 23:05

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Solved this one myself: Problem was I wasn’t running any audio through the speaker. When I started playing music, both volume up and volume down worked. 

Yes, I have encountered this “TV remote volume-up" issue in the not-so-distant past aswell and I’m reliably informed that it is ‘by design’.  It’s there to stop a user increasing the HT volume (perhaps by accidentally sitting on the remote etc.) whilst the HT device isn’t playing and then suddenly getting blasted by loud audio when the TV is switched on.

So now that I understand the reasoning behind this …I see it as a really well thought-out feature by the Sonos engineers.👍