Skip to main content

I recently bought the Beam Gen 2 with reviews saying that it is enough for smaller rooms. I have it in a “5.1” setup with two IKEA symphonisks and one sub mini … but I have to say the 150€ Logitech 5.1 system I had before delivered a far superior experience. To say I am underwhelmed of this 500 Euro soundbar is an understatement so I feel like I might be doing something wrong. 

at least I’m my setup the beam feels like it has ZERO stereo separation. I have truplay tuned it but that didn’t help much … is there anything else I can do or something I have to watch out for with the placements? 

If there’s nothing I can do, does the arc perform reasonably better in this regard? With its wider form factor I was wondering whether it maybe is able to offer better channel separation. Thanks in advance!

What are you watching exactly? From what app/device? What audio format is displayed in the Sonos app when playing the audio? What model TV do you have?

Where is the Beam placed, is there anything surrounding it?

Keep in mind when looking at the cost of the Beam it is not JUST a sound bar, a large part of the cost is the multi-room audio and streaming functionality.

Hi guys! Sorry for my late reply … vacation came in between and I got busy afterwards

this is my setup:

I am mostly watching content from my own media server and the occasional thing on Netflix. Some of the content I watch only has 2.1 sound and that is where the issues become most noticeable.

so the TV is a Philips 55PUS8807/12, I use a sub mini with the beam and two ikea symphonisks as surrounds. 

i have used trueplay to optimise for my seating position in the sofa. 

my biggest issue, as stated before, is that the beam feels like it has little to no stereo separation. I guess given it’s physical width there simply isn’t a lot of stereo separation possible 😅 

If you were to tell me that the beam only has one speaker in it I wouldn’t doubt it at all lol. 

i am wondering, does the arc do better in this regard? Or is there some other setup possible where I could use a speaker for mid and two for left and right?

it’s kinda saddening because I really liked the ease of setup and the beam is the only part I’m really unhappy with currently … as it is the setup is quite the downgrade (sound wise) from my Logitech z906

Thanks in advance!

If playing 2.1 TV/Music audio then perhaps see if the TV/Music slider controls in ‘Surround Audio’ in the Beam room settings will help you achieve a wider soundstage. For music audio, also set the Music Playback to ‘Full’ rather than ‘Ambient’ - see screenshot for the area of the App I’m referring to.

Hope those things assist.