Skip to main content
Answered

Is it true I can no longer use my record player once my Era 300s become rear surrounds?

• 24 November 2023
  • 6 replies

Originally, I just had an Arc for the TV and one Era 300 for my record player. I loved this and would play records every day. Well, I finally upgraded and got a Sub Mini and a second Era 300 for the full Atmos surround sound. At the end of the set up, I was notified I would NOT be able to use line in on my first Era 300 (to play records). WHAT?! Why?! What can I do? Any workarounds or advice? Thank you.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

The connection between soundbar and surrounds/sub is reconfigured to a one way, direct 5GHz private network.  This is necessary for the low-latency needed for syncing up with video.  But the compromise is the one way connection means the line-in is disabled. 

Hi

There are no work arounds to allow use of the line-in nor Bluetooth when the Era 300’s are used as surrounds . In short they cease to be automous speakers and become subject to information received from a Sonos soundbar. The same is true for the Era 100 and Five. In case you’re wondering the Move2 and Roam cannot be used as surrounds under any circumstances.

Your only option if you have no other Sonos speaker(s) with a line-in would be to use a Sonos Port. In this instance your turntable would need a pre-amp either built-in or 3rd party outboard.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Least expensive option would be buying an Era 100.

Your only option if you have no other Sonos speaker(s) with a line-in would be to use a Sonos Port. In this instance your turntable would need a pre-amp either built-in or 3rd party outboard.

Asking out of ignorance: How would the Port solve this problem? I can't quite make sense of it's use. 

Asking out of ignorance: How would the Port solve this problem? I can't quite make sense of it's use. 

The Port has a Line-In, which can be used as a source for any and all other Sonos rooms.  You can even set it to Autoplay to any other Sonos room.  You can do the same with any Sonos device with a Line-In.

The Port has a Line-In, which can be used as a source for any and all other Sonos rooms.  You can even set it to Autoplay to any other Sonos room.  You can do the same with any Sonos device with a Line-In.

Or you can buy an Era 100 as suggested by @106rallye which has a line-in then group it to your other Sonos speaker's; in your case the Arc.