Answered

Is it possible to get any sort of blu ray surround sound from Beam Gen 2 without eARC?

• 14 December 2023
  • 6 replies

Hi,

I have a 4 Samsung 4k TV with ARC but not eARC, a Beam Gen 1 and 2 Symphonisk speakers I use for surround. I have been getting surround sound when playing blu rays by using an old Samsung blu ray player set so that it re-encoded original audio to Dolby Digital.

If this player has to be replaced (and it is ten years old now) would current blu ray player on the market that don’t re-encode original audio to Dolby Digital like the Samsung give me some sort of surround sound experience with the Sonos Beam Gen 1 or Gen 2 (which I would like to purchase) without needing an eARC input on my TV? Or would even the Beam Gen 2 only play blu rays in stereo without an eARC input or tby using he HD Fury 4k Arcana?

I know I would need eARC or the HD Fury for Atmos but would there be an option for any other surround sound format from blu rays until I save up the extra £200 for one?

Thanks in advance.

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 14 December 2023, 13:48

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7

Depends on your specific TV model. If it is a TV that supports DTS, you should still be able to get DTS Digital Surround 5.1 audio from all DTS-encoded discs. You should also be able to get Dolby Digital 5.1 audio from all Dolby-encoded discs.

Try testing your current player without it re-encoding the DTS audio to Dolby and see what audio format you get.

What specific model TV do you have?

Looking at the back of the TV, it’s a Samsung UE50RU7470 which I think was a Curry’s exclusive but the same as a 7400 apart from a different colour bezel.

Userlevel 7

According to Samsung:

”DTS is only available on models released before 2018.”

Based on my research, your TV was released in 2019. So you will not be able to get surround sound from any DTS-encoded discs without a player that can re-encode the audio to Dolby Digital.

Thanks for looking into this - so it’ll have to be a TV with eARC or a HD Fury Arcana if I upgrade to a Beam Gen 2 and a new blu ray player…

Userlevel 7

Thanks for looking into this - so it’ll have to be a TV with eARC or a HD Fury Arcana if I upgrade to a Beam Gen 2 and a new blu ray player…

Yes.

Thanks for your help - frustrating but can’t be helped! I guess the Arcana would be the best option short of buying a whole new TV.