Answered

IOS 17 Volume with Apple TV Remote

• 20 September 2023
  • 34 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi everyone,
Just updated to IOS 17 on Apple TV.
The Apple TV remote indicates on TV screen that volume is going up and down but this doesn't correlate to the actual sound going up and down.

When I switch from the Playbar sound output to the TV output, volume works as expected.

I conclude it must be an issue between Sonos and Apple TV IOS 17. TV remote works as expected with IOS 17 and sonos. It's basically the Apple TV remote on IOS 17 and connection with sonos that appears to be the issue.

Any advice team?

Thanks  

icon

Best answer by johnno17 23 September 2023, 04:50

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

34 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I can try this again… but the TV uses a Bluetooth remote, so past attempts to pair haven’t proven useful. 

A Bluetooth remote will only work if using an HDMI connection to your Sonos: CEC between the Apple TV and the TV. If connected via optical then you will be SOL.

Yep, SOL is how I’m feeling!

Every TV I’m aware of has an option to switch the remote to IR, so that other devices, like Sonos, or Blu-ray players, or DVD players can be controlled, especially if other connected devices pre CEC.

Have you double checked the settings in the TV? Or looked in the user manual for the TV? What make and model is it?

Reading back, I see it’s a TCL. Do you have a model number, or more usefully, a link to an online manual?

I’ve scanned the manual which I think applies to my TCL Google TV and while BT pairing is described, no IR workaround seems evident. 

As noted earlier this is a new issue which seems very closely tied - if not definitively linked to OS17. 

No problems using optical cable to TV, HDMI to Apple TV up until a few weeks ago. 

When I briefly tried using old remote (not the Siri one), it worked! Then stopped working for volume - which, Apple said, is bc the remote got pushed updated code. 

https://support.tcl.com/us-googletv-product-downloads/6r-gtv-product-downloads

If there were no problems until a couple of weeks ago, that certainly suggests a change somewhere. And since Sonos hasn’t changed their software for receiving IR, that certainly points elsewhere. 

Not that this is much help, but I’ve had zero issues with the update to iOS 17 on my Apple TV, with the remote controlling an IR PLAYBAR…so I’m at a loss. Hard to argue with an Apple Engineer though. 

After the new update to tvOS 17.1, the Apple TV Remote was messing up the surround sound when I raised or lowered the volume. It would make the voice go to the era 300s and sound effects from Arc.

I changed the setting on Apple TV (remote/devices, volume control) from auto to TV ir. The surround works perfect now. Hopes this helps as it was very frustrating while watching the football games.

Setup is LG OLED hdmi connected to somos Arc and 2 Era 300s

Alas, I have an old playbar with optical cable to TV. 

As an aside, the extreme variability of configs, coupled with inadequate help-search tools from ALL parties (Sonos, Apple, TCL) makes this extremely frustrating. 

Search is essentially useless, and while forums are some help, all of us probably want relevance from “users like me.”

Even if those of us with older equipment were to switch, something inevitably will change.