Answered

Input Confusion HELP!

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Boy, am I confused.  I spent some time with Support and got my Arc working with my Sony Bravia and Directv box.  Two weeks ago when I first set up the system, everything was working fine, however for some reason, it stopped.

I have the Directv box connected to HDMI 1 on the tv.  I have the Arc connected to eArc on the tv.  Now, when I choose the HDMI eArc input of the tv, all I see is the Sonos screen saver.  When I switch to Input 1, then I see the picture and get audio from the Arc.  Is this the was it’s supposed to work?  Also, when I hit the off button on the Directv remote, the TV shuts down and the solid white light on the Arc stays lit, as do my 300s.  Shouldn’t the light on the Arc turn off with the tv and box?  One more thing, when I first set up the system, I recall having to have the tv input set to eArc in order to see the picture and hear the Arc.  Am I mistaken?  I’m so confused...

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 28 July 2023, 22:25

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

20 replies

Userlevel 4

My AppleTV 4 is connected to my Bravia via HDMI 1. (You want to select the input connected to your source, not the eARC output.) The audio is automatically routed to eARC (HDMI 3) and from there out to my Arc soundbar, and the video is displayed on the panel. The way you have it connected is how it works. You can also pair your Bravia remote with your system via Bluetooth. I speak into the mic on the remote “open HDMI 1” and the video from the AppleTV 4 is displayed as the audio is sent fro eARC, then to the soundbar. I use the HDMI inputs on my Bravia for AppleTV, a RoonBridge, and an Oppo disc player, switching to each via the paired remote. Sounds a little complicated, but it is actually pretty simple. Detailed set up instructions are available online. You can do it,

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

My AppleTV 4 is connected to my Bravia via HDMI 1. (You want to select the input connected to your source, not the eARC output.) The audio is automatically routed to eARC (HDMI 3) and from there out to my Arc soundbar, and the video is displayed on the panel. The way you have it connected is how it works. You can also pair your Bravia remote with your system via Bluetooth. I speak into the mic on the remote “open HDMI 1” and the video from the AppleTV 4 is displayed as the audio is sent fro eARC, then to the soundbar. I use the HDMI inputs on my Bravia for AppleTV, a RoonBridge, and an Oppo disc player, switching to each via the paired remote. Sounds a little complicated, but it is actually pretty simple. Detailed set up instructions are available online. You can do it,

Thanks for the reply.  Does the Arc status light always show solid white whether in use or not?

Userlevel 4

My Arc status light and the status lights on my surrounds are currently white; they have all been turned off for 15 hours.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Light codes: https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/sonos-led-lights

I’d never considered trying to look at the eARC HDMI output on my TV, going to have to try that.

I just select one of the input HDMI connections to see the devices connected there, the Arc just plays whatever I’m watching.

Userlevel 4

You don’t “look at” the eARC output, you listen to it. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Thanks for the replies.  One more thing...after the first setup I did, which eventually went away, I was able to see volume level numbers on the screen.  Now, those numbers are gone and I get no visual volume indication.  Where did that go?  Can that be enabled again?

Userlevel 4

When I am connected to one of my inputs, I see the volume levels of the device as played thru the Arc. When I am playing music through the Sonos app, those numbers are not available on screen. I control that volume using the sliders in the app.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

When I am connected to one of my inputs, I see the volume levels of the device as played thru the Arc. When I am playing music through the Sonos app, those numbers are not available on screen. I control that volume using the sliders in the app.

So how can I get the numbers to show while I’m watching my Directv?  Or, should I be able to at all?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

After much poking of TV remote buttons I got my HDMI/eARC port enabled to watch so it isn’t impossible.

After seeing the worst screensaver I’ve seen in years for a couple minutes I turned viewing the eARC connection back off.

DerekCharles, I’d look for your TV’s settings to turn viewing that HDMI port off, it will avoid confusing folks that don’t know your setup.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

After much poking of TV remote buttons I got my HDMI/eARC port enabled to watch so it isn’t impossible.

After seeing the worst screensaver I’ve seen in years for a couple minutes I turned viewing the eARC connection back off.

DerekCharles, I’d look for your TV’s settings to turn viewing that HDMI port off, it will avoid confusing folks that don’t know your setup.

I agree that saver is horrible.  That said, on my first setup of Arc, I could have sworn I had the eArc channel chosen and was seeing picture and hearing sound thru the Arc.  It seemed like the tv was sending the video and audio from input 1 and sending through to channel 3, the eArc HDMI.

Userlevel 4

eARC is an acronym for “Enhanced Audio Return Channel.” I think it is possible for it to pass video as well, but that is not what the feature is designed for. If you keep your DTV box “on,” and your TV input set for that device, it is unlikely you will be confronted by the butt-ugly screensaver.

l

Userlevel 4

So how can I get the numbers to show while I’m watching my Directv?  Or, should I be able to at all?

If your DTV box is connected to, for example, HDMI 1, your tv splits the audio out and sends it to your Sonos ARC. While you watch the video on HDMI 1, HDMI 3 (the eARC port, handles the audio, and you should see the volume level numbers in the lower left of you panel when you raise or lower the volume with your remote.

Userlevel 7

It appears your Arc is connected properly. You should always keep you TV pointing the HDMI port that allows you to watch DirectV. The TV will work the magic to send audio to your Arc and video to your TV display. 

If later you decide to add an Apple TV, BluRay or any other AV device to another HDMI port;  that is when you would select the port to which the 3rd party device is connected to. The TV will still work the same magic as described above.

Unless you like looking at the eARC screen saver just pretend the port doesn’t exist. That screen saver will always appear on the port to which the Arc is connected to. Don’t make an issue where none exists.

Finally, the Sonos speaker status lights remains on at all times. If the light annoys you go to Sonos App, select the room for the speaker and select “status light” (LED) off.

Edit: The screen saver is there for a purpose. It lets you know you have select the eARC port and not one that has a video source. Also, it prevents any possible burn-in or pixel memory retention which might affect your viewing on the other ports.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

It appears your Arc is connected properly. You should always keep you TV pointing the HDMI port that allows you to watch DirectV. The TV will work the magic to send audio to your Arc and video to your TV display. 

If later you decide to add an Apple TV, BluRay or any other AV device to another HDMI port;  that is when you would select the port to which the 3rd party device is connected to. The TV will still work the same magic as described above.

Unless you like looking at the eARC screen saver just pretending that port doesn’t exist. That screen saver will always appear on the port to which the Arc is connected to. Don’t make an issue where none exists.

Finally, the Sonos speaker status lights remains on at all times. If the light annoys you go to Sonos App, select the room for the speaker and select “status light” (LED) off.

Edit: The screen saver is there for a purpose. It lets you know you have select the eARC port and not one that has a video source. Also, it prevents any possible burn-in or pixel memory retention which might affect your viewing on the other ports.

Great explanation.  Is there a way to get the audio level showing?

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

If your DTV box is connected to, for example, HDMI 1, your tv splits the audio out and sends it to your Sonos ARC. While you watch the video on HDMI 1, HDMI 3 (the eARC port, handles the audio, and you should see the volume level numbers in the lower left of you panel when you raise or lower the volume with your remote.

Ya, I’m seeing the picture, but I’m not seeing the audio level on the lower left.  Any way to get that showing?  Is it a tv setting or an Arc setting?

Userlevel 7

To see the volume bar is a hit or miss depending upon how the remote interacts with the Arc and then on to your TV.

I have Xfinity/Comcast as my ISP/Cable Provider. I use the remote supplied by Xfinity. I have 3 LG’s ranging from 2019, 2020 and 2021 receiving the Xfinity cable stream. On one TV I see the volume bar and another I do not. Here’s the kicker...If I use my AppleTV remote I see a volume bar on all three. 

To my point to see the volume bar is a combination of the Arc > TV and how the TV interprets the signal.  The Comcast remotes are line-of-sight where as the AppleTV remote is Bluetooth to the AppleTV box and IR to the LG’s. 

There was a time when your question was reversed….as the volume indicator would not disappear and stayed on screen. To lend perspective the issue dates back to the original Sonos Play Bar. I don’t think that’s an issue today with current TV’s and I haven’t heard/read of anything of the kind related to the Arc, Beam (Gen 1 or 2) nor the Ray.

All said you may just have to rely upon your ears to achieve the desired volume level. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

To see the volume bar is a hit or miss depending upon how the remote interacts with the Arc and then on to your TV.

I have Xfinity/Comcast as my ISP/Cable Provider. I use the remote supplied by Xfinity. I have 3 LG’s ranging from 2019, 2020 and 2021 receiving the Xfinity cable stream. On one TV I see the volume bar and another I do not. Here’s the kicker...If I use my AppleTV remote I see a volume bar on all three. 

To my point to see the volume bar is a combination of the Arc > TV and how the TV interprets the signal.  The Comcast remotes are line-of-sight where as the AppleTV remote is Bluetooth to the AppleTV box and IR to the LG’s. 

There was a time when your question was reversed….as the volume indicator would not disappear and stayed on screen. To lend perspective the issue dates back to the original Sonos Play Bar. I don’t think that’s an issue today with current TV’s and I haven’t heard/read of anything of the kind related to the Arc, Beam (Gen 1 or 2) nor the Ray.

All said you may just have to rely upon your ears to achieve the desired volume level. 

thanks, I appreciate the explanation, as it’s frustrating.  At night, the wife likes the volume down to a certain level and it’s helpful to me to have an actual number to go down to.  Guess I’ll have to play it by ear.

In addition to audio and video sent over the HDMI cables, there is CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) data sent over another set of pins. CEC allows the devices to announce themselves and report status. The goal is to allow the user to drop a disc into a player and have the system power up and select the correct inputs. Similarly, if a cable box is turned on, cable will play. Unfortunately there is no hard standard for exactly how this should work. For example, some cable boxes never turn OFF and a cable power up sequence is only executed when the cable box is booted. This leads to one of my favorite glitches — the 3:00am cable box update that powers up the cable box and CEC assumes that someone wants to watch TV.

ARC will report its Volume status to the TV. If the TV chooses not to display the status, there is not much that ARC can do. In my experience some TV’s might forget that they should display ARC’s report or the TV might overlay its own Volume setting. This can result in a “war” between the two Volume controls. (TV and ARC). Sometimes a solution is to power down ARC and the TV for at least a couple minutes. Disconnect all HDMI cables from the TV before powering up. After powering up ARC and the TV, reconnect the HDMI cable between them. After the TV and ARC have discovered each other, you can connect any other TV inputs. At this point the TV might display the ARC Volume setting.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Learning so much here. I love it. On my call with Sonos, we went thru this very sequence.  The more information I can get the better off I am. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Well, I went thru the sequence again and all is working and I’m even seeing the volume levels.  Here’s hoping everything stays put.  Thank you all for your guidance.  I think I now have a basic understanding of what’s going on between the Arc and tv.