I lose sound and other fuctionality when I plug my Blu-Ray player in

• 28 February 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge +1

I own a Sonos Beam and gave done since 2019 along with Sub and two One SL speakers as surrounds. My TV is a Samsung UE49KS9000 and my Beam is connected to it via HDMI to the one connect box on Port 4 which is the HDMI Arc port. i have three spare HDMI ports and these are taken up with a PS5, Xbox Series X and a 5 Port HDMI Switch.

I have two devices connected to the HDMI switch: Sky Q box and Apple TV. 

Everything works as it should. I can turn the TV on and off using Alexa, increase and lower volume via Alexa, although she no longer correctly tells you the volume level if you happen to forget it - she used two back when I first had the beam and I’ve reported this several times, anyway I digress. 

So that’s the detailed background - here is my problem:

I recently purchased a Sony UBP-X800M2 blu-ray player, I connected this to the HDMI switch and said “Alexa, Turn on TV” nothing. I turned on the TV via remote. Waited ages, no sound. I turn off TV, unplug Blu-Ray player from mains, then say Alexa, Turn on TV she does and within a minute or two I get sound. 

So I think maybe an issue with the new Blu-Ray player. I disconnect the HDMI switch from the Samsung One Connect box and put Blu-Ray HDMI cable in its place and plug it in, say “Alexa turn on TV’’ works fine.

So I remove PS5 and PS4 from One connect and plug them into HDMI switch. I then connect HDMI Switch to One Connect box, and again same issue. But I don’t know why and it’s driving me nuts. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? There must be some kind of conflict between the HDMI Switch, the Blu-Ray and the Beam, but what?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7

On the Blu-ray player under the System Settings, if you turn off Control for HDMI and set Linked to TV-off to Invalid, does it make a difference?

Along the same lines as above, this looks to be a CEC related issue.  CEC is how TVs and connected devices communicate commands over HDMI, including turn on/off TV and send audio through the Arc channels.  Many TVs are setup to only communicate with one device, so if your blu ray player has CEC on, than your TV may stop listening to your Beam…essentially.  The solution is to turn off CEC on blu ray.

It could also be that another device has CEC or that only certain ports on your one connect or HDMI switch are CEC capable, which would explain why you see weird results from you testing.  It’s a good idea to turn off CEC on all your sources, including the switch, if you can. If you cannot, you can get HDMI cec-less adapter.

Badge +1

Hi Danny,

Thanks for the reply, I should have mentioned I did turn off this feature in my player’s settings menu, or think I did it’s not exactly worded Anynet+(HDMI-CEC) like my TV but was worded differently———→ goes off to look ———> Ok it’s under Settings->System Settings>HDMI Settings→

There are two settings here:

1. Control for HDMI - Off is selected

(Text states: Allow mutual operation between this unit and the device connected to this unit using an HDMI cable).

2. Linked to TV-off - Invalid is selected. 

This actually ties in with what 1 is set too as 2 doesn’t allow me to choose any other option when 1 is off. If I turn 1 on then I get an option to set 2 to Valid or Invalid.

(Text states: Turn iff this unit when the connected TV enters standby mode) so I think that’s right. 

I think 2 is the HDMI Anynet+CEC equivalent. Also while checking the settings I plugged in the blu-ray player with TV on and still have sound. 
it only seems to be when the TV has been off a while and the Beam goes into low power mode that I run into this problem. 

I do know for a fact ANYNET+ is in for both my consoles. 

Badge +1

Hi GuitarSuperstar,

That was one of the very first things I did, sorry should have mentioned that in my opening post. Tried that many that I forget half of the things I did try. 

There may be a loading issue on the CEC bus. As a test, connect only the Blu-ray to the HDMI switch.