Skip to main content
Question

how to create a home theater setup using macbook + Xgimi mogo2 pro + sonos roam SL, 2 x One SL, Ray

• 18 July 2024
  • 1 reply

Hi there!

I’ve been using Sonos for a few years, almost exclusively to play music. I don’t own a tv, but I have a macbook that I play movies and tv shows off of (netflix, apple tv and other streaming services. I don’t watch cable tv and don’t intend to). For sound, I often use my Sonos Roam SL because it connects via bluetooth and there is no lag between the image on the laptop and the sound on the speaker.  

Now, I recently made 2 purchases: a XGIMI mogo2 pro projector, and a Sonos Ray. I’m now trying to see if and how it would be possible to play movies over my projector, using my Sonos living room set up (2 x One SL, Ray) to supply the sound. 

Is there any possibility to connect my Sonos living room set up to my projector to create a home theater? I know very little about these things, so please assume I know nothing! Any advice would be hugely appreciated. 

PS
If there is no way to connect these things - please note I bought the Sonos Ray on a bit of a whim, because it was on discount. If there is another Sonos device I should’ve bought that would make this possible, let me know and I will return the Sonos Ray and swap it out for another device.  

1 reply

Ok, so I tried some things and had some success but also some issues. Currenlty, I am playing netflix on my macbook, and projecting it by connecting an hdmi cable to my XGIMI. Then, on my macbook, I’m simply selecting both my Ray and Sonos One SL systems via my Sonos App as the audio output. 

It works ok, but there is a slight lag -- the exact reason why I was using Sonos Roam for audio before. Is there any way to resolve this issue?