Answered

How to connect Samsung Frame TV to Sonos Play:5 (2nd Gen)

• 13 December 2022
  • 17 replies

Hi, 

Mostly in the question, I am attempting to connect a Samsung ‘The Frame TV’ to the Sonos network and it isn’t anywhere near as simple as one would hope. I am trying to play it out of a Gen 2 Play:5 and a Roam SL. 

Has anyone successfully tried this? 

I also have a Roam SL that we are using as a mini soundbar, does anyone know if I can connect this via bluetooth to the TV? 

Seems a little crazy that there is all this tech and innovation yet connections are still as convoluted as cables! :D 

Thanks in advance,

I just want to enjoy the speakers!

icon

Best answer by John B 13 December 2022, 17:43

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

17 replies

The PLAY:5 gen 2 has an analog line in on the back of it. If you can get some sort of analog line out from that TV, you could plug it in. However, since the PLAY:5 wasn’t designed as a Home Theater device, there will be a minimum of 75ms delay on that line in. 

I would highly recommend one of Sonos’ Home Theater products instead, which use a low latency digital input. The Sonos Ray, the Sonos Beam, or the Sonos Arc would all be good choices, and connect more easily and satisfactorily to that TV. 

Hi.  Those speakers are not designed to be used with a TV.  If you are expecting to connect any speaker (Sonos or otherwise) to your Frame Tv then the TV simply isn’t capable of doing that.  (There may be a slight hope of connecting the Roam SL via Bluetooth (if the TV has Bluetooth out) but that would not be a good solution.)

If you want to use Sonos for TV sound you need a Sonos product designed for that purpose: an Arc or a Beam.

Thanks guys, really appreciate the responses. Two sides of a coin there, may I elaborate slightly  on my exact problem; 

So after being somewhat new to high end TVs, I found that the Frame tv comes with an additional box that houses all the hdmi ports etc, connected via long cable. I’m really aiming for the no wire tv look so I’ve put the cable in the wall then to a cabinet where said box is. 
I’m sure you can see where I’m going with this, I don’t want a sound bar on the wall. 

I’m just looking for some redneck engineering here. I’m not a massive tv watcher so if it’s a no go, then so be it! 

thanks again :) 

Then it’s a request, and one that most likely any TV manufacturer wouldn’t allow Sonos to partake in, as they’ll want to limit it to their own hardware. 

There is no current way to get a Samsung TV of any type to send a wireless signal to a Sonos device of any type. With one caveat, if the Samsung TV has Bluetooth, you could conceivably send a stereo signal to the Sonos devices that can receive a Bluetooth signal, the Roam or the Move. However, a stereo signal is not a home theater signal, i.e. it doesn’t extend to any 5.1 type of signal. 

To date, I’ve not seen any TV manufacturer open up their “walled garden” approach to wireless audio to include any third party companies. Samsung may, and I emphasize that word, allow you to send a home theater type signal to their own speaker system. Right now, most companies (all?) rely on either optical outputs, or HDMI-ARC/eARC style connections for audio. 

I assume that is the Samsung One box? It may be that a Sonos soundbar or other speaker could be wired to that - I have no idea.

Where are you planning on positioning whatever speaker you use? If the answer is anything other than "right by the TV" then it's going to sound weird anyway. 

A Samsung Frame TV is a design decision to make tech not look like tech. That seems to me to make an external speaker of any sort problematic.

Thanks again. 

It seems that I’ll not be connecting the two then, it was a tough ask to get a speaker that had Wireless for music, wired for a record player and wireless/wired to the TV in one unit. 

Badge +2

Thanks again. 

It seems that I’ll not be connecting the two then, it was a tough ask to get a speaker that had Wireless for music, wired for a record player and wireless/wired to the TV in one unit. 

Don’t lose hope yet, if you’re still looking for a solution I have one for you. This is what I’ve done with my 65” Samsung Frame TV Gen. 3, I connected an Apple TV to the Samsung One Connect Box, and I’m able to play the TV audio through all of my Sonos speakers via Airplay 2, it’s very awesome. I can play the TV on all 10 speakers including the outdoor speaks connected via the Amp. and 2 subs, It’s a lot of sound but beautiful. The trick is the Apple TV/ Air play 2. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

No sync problems?

Badge +2

No sync problems?

Non that I can notice. 

Thanks for the Apple TV suggestion. I too would like the TV sound to come through on kitchen/outdoor speakers when there is a sport game on TV. I don’t care if it’s a bit delayed, not looking for a “home theatre” experience and don’t want to install a sound bar on my frame tv wall. 

Thanks again. 

Don’t lose hope yet, if you’re still looking for a solution I have one for you. This is what I’ve done with my 65” Samsung Frame TV Gen. 3, I connected an Apple TV to the Samsung One Connect Box, and I’m able to play the TV audio through all of my Sonos speakers via Airplay 2, it’s very awesome. I can play the TV on all 10 speakers including the outdoor speaks connected via the Amp. and 2 subs, It’s a lot of sound but beautiful. The trick is the Apple TV/ Air play 2. 

We purchased a Frame TV and I’m trying to figure out how to get my play bar to work….

Going this route, does it work even if the Apple TV isn’t the streaming device being used? We already have an Apple TV, but we have a cable box for most our viewing. So if we’re just watching via the cable box will we be able to AirPlay to the Sonos speakers?

Hello

for three years I have been using my « play 5 » with my « Samsung the frame » tv. It worked perfectly. I connected them via the audio output and audio -> optic converter to get in the box of my tv. 

But I have had issues for a couple of weeks, the play 5 is not recognized anymore by my tv. 

I’m confused. The PLAY:5 should have never been recognized by the TV. For all practical purposes, it wasn’t connected to the TV, it was connected to your optic converter. Assuming the line in is still working on the PLAY:5, (you have submitted a diagnostic and called Sonos Support, right?), you probably should be looking at that optic converter device, or the TV itself outputting a correct signal.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Or possibly a broken optical cable / connector.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I'm in same position with a new Frame, but think that I'll buy a sonos Arc or Ray rather than Apple TV, that way I'll be able to connect to all other sonos devices-I don't like complications. I'm also thinking to expand my system with music listening decoupled from TV, easier then to optimize both.

Buying a Sonos device designed for connection to a TV makes a lot of sense. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I totally agree with @Airgetlam and an analogue input solution like with the P5 just could be a workaround if you are lucky not to run into a delay problem and are satisfied with stereo sound. 

And just an advise to that AppleTV solution… yes, it works… but also only with stereo and only with the ATV itself as the source device. The TV and other via HDMI connected devices won’t be able to use the ATV Airplay connection.