Answered

How to combine sonos with existing old 5.1 system

• 17 November 2023
  • 1 reply

Badge +1

So I currently have a sonos beam (gen 1) and soon to add two symfonisk picture speakers as rears, plus a (gen 1) sub.

In the same room, I have an existing, old 5.1 setup, which is 3 KEF motorised ceiling speakers, two rear ceiling speakers of unknown make, a KEF PSW3500 subwoofer and a DENON AVR-2807 amp.

What I am trying to work out is whether I could replace the amp with some kind of sonos amp and link it all together for some sort of mega super duper dolby atmos 7.1 or better system?

I doubt both subwoofers could be used. I also know that I would need at least a gen 2 beam for atmos.

(btw, i know it’s a bit mad to have two 5.1 systems in one room. The reason I bought the beam, and began the whole sonos journey to begin with, is because the ceiling mounted cinema system speakers are right beneath the kids bedrooms and can’t be used while they’re in bed, which is every night after 7pm. But we still use them when they’re not.)  

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 17 November 2023, 12:10

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

No, Sonos and other manufacturers don’t want mixed 5.1 setups. Too many variables to juggle. If you have a Sonos, the best you can do is use a Sonos Amp (or two) to drive third party speakers, but then you only get 4.1 , with the center being interpolated. 

There is also no way to export a 5.1 signal from a Sonos device that has interpreted it. The best you can get out is a stereo signal from the line out on a Sonos Port.