Skip to main content

Hello all.  I have a SONOS ARC, 2 SL1s and a SONOS Sub.  The SONOS system is running off my home internet WIFI signal  The SONOS Arc is connected to the TV with an HDMI.  

The SONOS system is Not hardwired through ethernet.

I just noticed that the SONUS is putting out WIFI access that is not password protected - a signal which can allow anyone can access my WIFI - without a password.  (It comes up as an unlocked WIFI signal on all of my devices.)

Question:  Is there anyway to add password protection to the SONOS wifi.  If not, can I deactivate the WIFI signal it is putting out?

Thanks.

Hi @shopping63, with none of your Sonos devices connected via wired Ethernet, SonosNet (the proprietary Wi-Fi network) should not be active. What exactly are you seeing wrt “WIFI access that is not password protected”?

Thanks for your reply!

Under available WIFI networks on all of my devices, I see several - neighbors, etc - all of which are locked -- password protected.  However, I just noticed one called SONOSAXs…….., and it is not locked.  Anyone can access it without a password.  

I just had a friend who is with me and he selected that signal, and accessed it without a password.  

I did an IP comparison, and it shows as the same IP as my home wifi.

Any idea on how to password protect the SONOS WIFI signal, or otherwise disable it.

PS - when I pulled the power cord on my SONOS ARC, the SONOS wifi signal disappeared.

Ah, got it @shopping63 … that is a dedicated link from the Arc to your surround and sub. I’d be kinda surprised if joining that ‘network’ gave any access to your network or your internet. When your friend accessed SONOSAXs was he able to ‘do’ anything?

Thanks so much.  You are right.  Even though it is not password protected and can be “accessed” - no websites will load.   Appreciate your help!!