Answered

Home Theatre Setup/Pre-Built Setup

• 10 March 2024
  • 4 replies

Hello - New user here trying to use Sonos as my Home Theatre Sound with current built in speakers. I have wired 5.1 speakers that go to utility room. I have a receiver that is wired to the speakers that I want to use for sound but no sources to the TV from the utility room. 

Can I use Port to stream sound via Airplay 2, cast the video to the TV via Airplay, choose the Port as sound source, use the built in speakers as the audio? Or what would be the best way to get sound and video to setup knowing that TV is not wired to any location and sound is pre-wired to ceiling speakers via audio receiver. 

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 10 March 2024, 21:12

View original

4 replies

No, the Sonos Port will not work for TV surround audio - it provides stereo only audio and there would be a delay to any speakers of 75ms (minimum) and so the audio will be out of sync with the video on your TV screen.

To get 5.1 surround sound, you would need to cable 4 speakers and a powered sub, to two separate Sonos Amps and have one Amp wired to the TV using HDMI-ARC, or an Optical connection. One Amp (primary) will play the front HT channels and the .LFE channel …and the other Amp (secondary) will play the rear left/right audio channels.

You may find the following links helpful, that’s if you are looking to use Sonos for HT (and music) audio…

Thanks for the reply. 

since Port has a digital out, if I have a 5.1 receiver with a digital input would Port work in that setup? 

my goal is to use components that I already have where possible. I’ll review the links you sent also. 

The line-in audio (stereo only input) will be buffered - that’s where the 75ms delay would occur, if that’s what you’re asking? …and the S/PDIF coax digital output will also be stereo too - so not HT 5.1 surround sound.

The ‘Port’ will be okay as a stereo music source to your Amp/Speakers - but I think you will encounter issues with TV audio/video sync and the ‘Port’ certainly will not play 5.1 surround sound audio, if that’s what you were hoping for.