Answered

home theater set up

• 11 January 2023
  • 7 replies

I have a playbase, a sub, two One's and two play:1's.  They are set up as playbase, sub and two One's in one product, (living room) but I can't add the play:1's unless I put them in their own product group (living room 2 & 3). Once that is done, They will all play sound, but my remote control will not control the play:1's, and I have to use the app, which is not convenient.  They are not set up as a speaker pair.  Is there anyway around this so my remote control can control all speakers?  

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 12 January 2023, 00:04

View original

7 replies

No. Your TV’s remote control will only control the speakers in your ‘home theater’ room, and not any grouped rooms. 

Thank you.   Sad that such an expensive system has such a basic limitation for 'home theater".  I can add another sub, but can't have 4 surround sounds, two in front,  two in back.   Unfortunate.  

Yes, Sonos does seem to strive for ease of installation, rather than high end free form usability, and has never, to my knowledge, pretended otherwise. But their system does work, when used as designed, and extremely well. 

Thank you.   Sad that such an expensive system has such a basic limitation for 'home theater".  I can add another sub, but can't have 4 surround sounds, two in front,  two in back.   Unfortunate.  

There's no such things as "front surrounds".  5.1 consists of front left, center, right, which are in the playbase, surround left, right, which should be behind and to the sides of the viewing area, and a Sub.  If you put surrounds in the front, all directional effects would be messed up bad.

Point taken, but the size of the room and layout would accommodate the playbase and two speakers in the front of the room with the other two in the back of the room.

The thought with Groups is that Group members will be scattered throughout your home. In this context I would be annoyed if someone adjusted Volume in their area and my area followed.

Point taken, but the size of the room and layout would accommodate the playbase and two speakers in the front of the room with the other two in the back of the room.

Nope. More speakers does not mean better sound.  Proper surround sound depends on discrete channels placed in specific areas of the room, and room size and layout doesn't change that.  Sounds meant to come from the sides or behind the viewer will never sound better coming from the front, regardless of the room size or layout.