Skip to main content

Boy am I confused!

Here is my story:

I want to buy a Sonos ARC and a new Sony OLED TV.

I want to get rid of my existing 13 year old Pioneer receiver which is powering a Paradigm Millenia 5.1 speaker system. 

The Paradigm system has:

5 satellite speakers. I use 3 for Front, Center, Left and 2 for Rear surrounds.

I don’t want to spend any extra $s on new surrounds or a subwoofer.

I also have 2 Sonos Connect Amps (the original ones).

Is there a way to combine the following into a new system:

ARC

Connect amps

Some or all of the Paradigm satellites and the powered sub.

I hope I have made myself clear. 

No. 

There is no way to mix these two home theater systems together. 

@Spirit,

Let’s back up a bit. Why do you want to replace the PIONEER? How does this arrangement sound? What inputs are connected to the PIONEER?

Hi Buzz.

Thank for your reply.

The system I am using is 13 years old.

I am using a pioneer non-4K receiver and all my devices are plugged into the receiver. An HDMI out goes to a Panasonic Plasma tv.

I believe that if I buy a new Sony 4k OLED then using the pioneer the same way will negate the 4k. Perhaps I am mistaken but that is what I thought.

I figured buying an Arc would be a good idea and I was asking if I could somehow incorporate some of the current paradigm speakers. What I have read is that I could use an s2 connect amp with the Arc and that would allow me to keep the rears..

If what is written is totally wrong please let me know and if you have any other ideas that would be appreciated.

If you are keeping the Source devices currently connected to the Yamaha AVR and retain the AVR you will continue to send a 1080p/720p or 1080i signal to the 4K TV and it will up convert the signal to fill the TV screen and audio playback will be unaffected.

If you are also adding a 4K capable Source you can connect it direct to the TV via HDMI and then use the Optical out from the 4K TV to send 5.1 audio to the AVR.

If you plan to use the 4K TV Tuner or onboard streaming App as a source you can again connect the TV to the Yamaha AVR via the TV Optical out.

There is no practical way to use your passive speakers with any SONOS device and retain 5.1 other than the ARC+Amp and a pair of passive speakers for surround duty, that's a lot of outlay for little/no advantage over what you have now.

Thank you Joe.

I didn’t know that I could I run the optical out to the AVR. Super info!!

That seems to be the best answer. I did a little reading and it appears that I will still be able to get 5.1 Dolby Digital (not DD Plus) and DTS when using the optical method.

This seems fine to me. That way I would leave the audio system as is and have my sources plugged directly into the HDMI inputs on the TV and take advantage of 4K.

Do you agree that this is the best answer for my situation?