Answered

home kit query

hi there.  we’ve moved into a house with an old Sonos amp powering our kitchen ceiling speakers. we’re running it off S1 along with two rooms of IKEA bookshelf Sonos speakers. if we purchase a new sonos amp will that just plug in and power the ceiling speakers? then if we purchase a Beam 2 bundle with sub, could that work alongside the IKEA bookshelf speakers already in that room  for surround sound? thanks!

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 6 March 2023, 00:05

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7

It sounds like you are wanting to replace the old Connect:Amp with a new Sonos Amp, correct?

As long as the SYMFONISK bookshelf speakers are the same model, they can be used as surrounds with the Beam.

FYI… the Beam (Gen 2) is only compatible with the S2 app. So you will have to upgrade your system to S2 or keep the Beam S2 setup separate from your S1 system.

It sounds like you are wanting to replace the old Connect:Amp with a new Sonos Amp, correct?

As long as the SYMFONISK bookshelf speakers are the same model, they can be used as surrounds with the Beam.

FYI… the Beam (Gen 2) is only compatible with the S2 app. So you will have to upgrade your system to S2 or keep the Beam S2 setup separate from your S1 system.

Correct! So do I just swap out the old amp for the new amp and it will work with the existing ceiling speakers? Then I can switch to S2 so I can control everything from it. Sounds like I could do the Beam/surround set up as a standalone on S2 but would then have two rooms on S1 (because of the old amp) and the living room stand alone on S2. Which would irk 😂

Userlevel 7

Yes, you can swap out the old Connect:Amp for the new Amp and it will work with your in-ceiling speakers. When you get the Beam, you can update your system to S2 so everything will be on the same system.

NOTE… if you have a Connect:Amp (Gen 2), it is compatible with S2. The Connect:Amp (Gen 1) is only compatible with S1. What are the first four digits of the serial number?

Yes, you can swap out the old Connect:Amp for the new Amp and it will work with your in-ceiling speakers. When you get the Beam, you can update your system to S2 so everything will be on the same system.

NOTE… if you have a Connect:Amp (Gen 2), it is compatible with S2. The Connect:Amp (Gen 1) is only compatible with S1. What are the first four digits of the serial number?

Thank you. Def only a gen 1 amp as upgraded app to s2 and took a long time on the phone to Sonos (brilliant) support trying to go back to S1 on the new bookshelf speakers I’d set up after realising S2 doesn’t work with the amp and kitchen speakers.