Answered

Help to a newbie

• 14 April 2024
  • 3 replies

Hi, I'm a total novice. I'm going to buy a Sonos Beam (Gen 2) and additionally a few Symfonisk speakers. I read on the Internet that they can be used as surround speakers and that's why I had a few questions:

- Is it possible to make the symfonisk speakers play continuously, e.g. when I watch something without an atmos track (or also with atmos)?

- Is there a limit for additional speakers and can I set their position relative to myself using some equalizer?

- Will everything I play on TV be heard by the set I create?

- Is it possible to use this set also as a sound source for a Windows PC?

icon

Best answer by 106rallye 14 April 2024, 18:38

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The Symfonisks do surround, not Atmos. If your source does surround, the Symfonisks will play.

Two surround speakers is the limit, you could ad One or two Subs or a Sub Mini. Use Trueplay (iPhone only).

See my first answer. For TV this depends on the source material. For music you can set the system to “Full” and have stereo from the Beam and the Symfonisks.

If the PC has HDMI-ARC, yes. Most PC’s don’t. Using optical will result in losing Atmos.

The Symfonisks do surround, not Atmos. If your source does surround, the Symfonisks will play.

Two surround speakers is the limit, you could ad One or two Subs or a Sub Mini. Use Trueplay (iPhone only).

See my first answer. For TV this depends on the source material. For music you can set the system to “Full” and have stereo from the Beam and the Symfonisks.

If the PC has HDMI-ARC, yes. Most PC’s don’t. Using optical will result in losing Atmos.

So there is no way that I can play, for example, a YouTube movie in stereo and the additional speakers at the back will play as regular stereo speakers in soundbar?

No, unfortunately not, as that ‘movie’ is sent through the TV input, and not streamed as ‘music’. We tend to (and I am the worst of that) to define the TV input as ‘not music’ and the streaming input as ‘music’, but that’s not really the case. It’s really the input in use. When using the input for the TV, you can’t adjust the ‘rear’ speakers to be other than surround speaker. When you’re streaming to the Sonos ‘room’ via the ‘non-TV input’, you can set the surround speakers to ‘full’, as @106rallye suggests.