Answered

HDMI Splitter problem with Beam Gen 2

Hi. I have a not uncommon problem in that my 2nd Generation Beam and Samsung TV frequently don't want to talk to each other. The problem seems to be related to the EArc capabilities of the TV, as if I disable that, they play together nicely. As a workaround I've borrowed a 1 In / 2 Out HDMI splitter from work. My intention being to feed my media system (Vero 4k+) into the switch, with one output feeding the TV for the vision and the other the Beam. However, on trying this I get no sound at all from the beam. The app shows nothing on the beam's input (I've made sure it's an allowed format being used, deliberately dropping to 2 ch stereo for the test). Swapping the splitters 2 outputs around makes no difference. I assumed the splitter was somehow blocking the audio, but, with the splitter still in circuit feeding the tv but reconnecting the beam so it's fed as normal from the EArc/Arc output I get the media systems audio as normal from the beam. So fed straight from the splitter - no audio. Fed via the same splitter but taken from the EArc output, audio fine??? Is the Samsung modifying the audio somehow after the splitter in a way that the beam is then happy with? Confused, as usual 

Andy

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 16 March 2024, 18:31

View original

13 replies

I’m a little confused by your post. The Beam requires ARC or eARC to work, but you’re suggesting, I think, that the Vero 4K device (media system) creates such a signal? That would be the only way the Beam would be able to play anything from an HDMI signal being generated by that device. And it seems to work when connected to the TV set (as it should, the TV set creates an ARC/eARC signal based on any HDMI input). 

Normally, you would need a splitter such as the HD Fury Arcana, the Feintech VAX04101k, and the OREI HDA-935, all of which can take an HDMI input and create an ARC or eARC output. You can also order from those links from the companies directly, or check your local retailers for availability. Amazon may carry some, depending on location. At this point, there may be more manufacturers, I haven’t been keeping track.

Ah......thanks for that. I didn't realise that Arc/eARC was different, as in I just assumed the hdmi cable carried audio and I could feed the Beam with that! My bad! Thank you for the explanation and a list of suitable products. Back to the drawing board for me!

Regular HDMI audio and HDMI-ARC/eARC audio use a different set of pins in the HDMI cable. Processors at both ends of the cable must be aware of this. A simple HDMI switch has no processor..

Thanks. I hadn't realised this. Is there a technical or sales based reason the beam couldn't be produced to access the normal HDMI audio pins as well as the Arc/eArc ones? (I'm sure there's an obvious reason!)

As non Sonos employees, we can guess, but there is no official explanation that I’m aware of. 

The majority of TV and speaker manufacturers use the CEC specifications, which specifies use of ARC/eARC as part of the standard. I suspect it also makes things slightly easier/less expensive for Sonos, probably something significant when manufacturing millions of devices. 

Except for a few outsiders noted above, no manufacturers fuss with this and by now you know there is extra cost and some extra complexity for the user during setup. The bandwidth supported by the two sets of pins is different.

Thanks both, for clear and understandable answers. I think for now I'll disable eARC on the TV so the Samsung and Beam are happy together. I know it limits my choice of audio a little more but better than the TV defaulting to it's dreadful speakers each time the 2 units don't want to talk. And I think I'll steer clear of Samsung for the next TV. Their tech people remotted into the TV, saw the eARC disconnects happening and after several weeks informed me that yes, there's a problem but they won't be addressing it! (It's a 4 yr old set, so not much I can do except shop elsewhere next time). 

Thanks for your help. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Sonos has chosen to use the TV as the center of all sources. I do not think there are TV’s that provide an HDMI “out” for anything other than sound via ARC. The combination of these two facts would mean the current Sonos HDMI soundbars only can do (e)ARC.

Thanks. Yes, this all stems me not understanding HDMI correctly. It's now starting to make more sense, especially as to why my splitter was 'mysteriously' stopping audio! Thank goodness for forums like this to explain to us less technical types!

Thanks. Yes, this all stems me not understanding HDMI correctly. 

This misunderstanding continues through to the various manufacturing teams. There are multiple standards involved and there is some room for multiple interpretations of the standards, plus the standards have mutated over the years in order to add new features. When there is an issue between product A and product B, the manufacturers each disavow any responsibility. If there are enough complaints, A may make a change in order to accommodate the issue. B may also make a change that clashes with A’s accommodation and we are back to square one. As the drama continues, product C may develop an issue with A or B’s accommodations.

As consumers we want “buy once, free support forever”, but this is not a sustainable business model.

This makes sense. But then I read about Samsung soundbars not playing nicely with Samsung TVs. At least in that case Samsung can't throw their hands in the air and blame the other party. Will it ever get to the stage where it all just works? 

Within each manufacturer there are product “teams” that must each learn their own lessons. Communication between teams may not be very good.

Leaving the consumer to do their beta testing for them!