Got a new Arc and looking for system=specific help with configuration

• 30 November 2022
  • 11 replies

Badge

Here’s what I’m connecting and what I’m hoping for is direction on how I should set up all the various items. Thanks in advance. 

1. Sonos Arc, sub, two play 1’s.
  2. Roku Ultra 4800X
  3. Samsung UN65JS850D TV.

Roku choices are: a.) Streaming audio format - auto, Dolby, DTS;                         

b.) Digital output format - auto, passthrough, stereo, custom

TV choices are:  a.) HDMI Audio Format (input) - bitstream, PCM

b.) Audio Format (output)  - this varies based on choice in HDMI input, I have bitstream selected - PCM, Dolby Digital, DTS Neo 2.5

c.) Dolby Digital Compression - RF, line

d.) HD Audio - on, off         

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 7

Roku settings:

Streaming Audio Format: Dolby

Digital Output Format: Custom > Dolby (Dolby Digital Plus)

If Dolby Digital Plus doesn’t work, select Dolby Digital.

TV settings:

HDMI Audio Format (input): Bitstream

Audio Format (output): Dolby Digital

The Dolby Digital Compression and HD Audio settings only affect the TV speakers.

Badge

Thanks. For Roku setting ‘digital output format’ > custom > DD plus does not produce any sound, but DD does work. According to the TV user guide, “Dolby Digital Plus is supported for up to 5.1 channels.”  Would you have any speculation why I don’t get sound with  DD plus set on Roku?

Userlevel 7

Thanks. For Roku setting ‘digital output format’ > custom > DD plus does not produce any sound, but DD does work. According to the TV user guide, “Dolby Digital Plus is supported for up to 5.1 channels.”  Would you have any speculation why I don’t get sound with  DD plus set on Roku?

Your TV is an older model from 2016. It probably only supports standard Dolby Digital pass through from an external media device and not DD+. The fact that the Audio Format (output) setting only has a Dolby Digital option and you get no audio with the DD+ setting on the Roku pretty much confirms this.

Badge

I was afraid of that. When I read in the TV documentation from Samsung that it supported DD+, I believed them. I wanted to buy a new TV during Black Friday sales but was overruled. It’s too old to play DD+/Atmos but too new to replace. Thanks.

Userlevel 7

Another option to consider is getting the HDFury Arcana eARC adapter. It allows your Roku to bypass your TV’s limitations and send audio directly to the Arc. I use the Arcana with an Arc, Roku Ultra, and old Panasonic plasma from 2013, and I can get Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby Atmos audio playing out of the Arc.

https://hdfury.com/product/4k-arcana-18gbps/

Badge

I’ve been reading about it and it looks interesting. It does seem to introduce another layer of configuration choices but it’s cheaper than a new TV. So it goes Roku output to Arcana, then 2 outputs from Arcana to TV and Sonos? Also, do I need any kind of special HDMI cables? Thanks.

Badge

Per tracking info, my Arcana should be here tomorrow but in the interim, perhaps you have an idea about this. I just bought a Google TV Chromecast and find that it is not passing dolby digital to my TV. Thus, 5.1 with Roku and PCM stereo with Google. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Userlevel 7

I’m not 100% certain, but if I had to guess, the Chromecast is trying to send Dolby Digital Plus audio through your TV rather than Dolby Digital. Since your TV doesn’t support DD+ pass through, this results in Stereo PCM audio.

To answer your previous question, HDFury recommends HDMI cables from KabelDirekt, Zeskit, or Cable Matters.

One other note… if you plan on connecting more than one device to the Arcana, you will need an HDMI switch. The ROOFULL switch from Amazon works well with the Arcana:

https://a.co/d/1gZMhSD

Badge

The Chromecast allows you to manually select the audio type so I was able to limit the audio to DD. However, when I selected DTS it enabled DTS 2.5 on my TV giving me DTS surround 5.1 on Sonos. Once I have the Arcana, that should no longer be an issue.

Thanks for the HDMI switch advice. That would have been my next question. 

Badge

The Arcana arrived today and the setup has not been seamless. I’m hoping that you as an end user might have a few pointers. I spent a frustrating hour with their tech support to be told that Roku and Chromecast are not good devices and asked why I needed Atmos. 

The problem is that after connecting everything, I’m only seeing Stereo PCM in the Sonos app. The whole point of the arcana is to bypass the TV audio to get Dolby Atmos. Otherwise, the arcana is of no use. Do you have any tips on customizing the arcana and Roku menus? Thanks.

Userlevel 7

I don’t know what HDFury support is talking about. Both the Roku Ultra and Chromecast with Google TV support Dolby Atmos audio.

I just sent you a private message so we can more easily communicate and figure out what’s going on.