Frustration - Want to nuke my entire system

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I moved a couple weeks ago and I got my TV mounted and was trying to setup my Living room Sonos -  Sub, Playbar and (2) Play 1’s.    The Sub and Playbar come up fine under TV room.  One play one shows under living room 2,  the other not at all.   

For some reason in the App I can’t just delete a speaker, nor can I move it to another room.   I tried to do the paring under TV room, cant find 2 matching.   

I did a factory reset on the play 1 not showing, added it then added it to the TV room, it showed up in TV room 2.   I’ve reset both Play 1 and added them a few times.  I get network errors in the app saying it can’t update or can’t add part way thru.    My network is up and runing, did speed test with over 700mps.  the only time it bounced was when Sonos was adding the play1 to the room.    I’ve been trying to get these two damn speakers setup for 2 hours.   I do not have a wired connection in the room, so I’ve been running them upstairs to try hardwired. same thing.   

I’m frustrated enough I’m ready to go buy a different system.   This all worked great in the other house and no change coming here.  same TV room devices,   bedroom and office are all the same speakers.

Is there a way to reset the app completely and add them all over again?

16 replies

It sounds like you are going about this completely the wrong way.  What is the current state of play?  Which ‘rooms’ currently appear in your app, what are their names and what speaker(s) do they contain?

Please don’t reset anything else.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

It sounds like you are going about this completely the wrong way.  What is the current state of play?  Which ‘rooms currently appear in your app, what are their names and what speaker(s) do they contain?

Please don’t reset anything else.

Hi John,

The Play 1’s are plugged in downstairs in the TV Room with the Sub and the PLaybar.  

In my app:

Bedroom -  Play 3  L&R   - Correct

Boost -  Correct

Desk - Play 5  - Correct

TVRoom (+?) - Playbar and Sub

TV Room 2 -  Play 1 Not registered

TV Room 2 - Play:1

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

OK.   For the moment please power off the Sub.  We’ll come back to that.

Please factory reset the Play:1 that you describe as ‘not registered’. (Factory resets are normally counter-productive, but I think justified for this one speaker.)

Go into Settings in the app. Go to System, Add Product and add it as a separate ‘room’.  Call it anything but TV Room or TV Room 2.  Call it George if you want.

Please then report back and we’ll take it from there.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Im attempting to complete this change.  The Sonos app is being difficult.   I had to bring it upstairs to hardwire, it wouldn’t connect via wifi.  The Sonos app is saying it can’t find products.  My network is solid, I’m not sure whats going on with the app.  it’s been like this all afternoon.  It’s up to date,  tells me it can’t do updates like 3 times then does em.    I’m running speed tests at the same time and still over 700mps.

ill be back as soon as I can get this done

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I”m not sure where to go at this point.   Im in the office,  my Wifi router, sonos and phone are within 12” of each other,  the speaker is hardwired into the network.  My phone is an Iphone 14 Pro Max,  I’ve deleted the Sonos app and downloadd again.   When I try to add the Play:1 it starts then errors with an 800 on verifying my sonos app.    I can use if for all other tasks..  I’ve rebooted my phone a couple times.   

Dies your phone have a VPN installed?

I assume you have a dual band router? If so does it have separate names for the two bands?

Please keep your router, Sonos and phone further apart than 12" to avoid interference. 

What happens if you check for  updates in Settings , System, System Updates?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I moved them, in a post I had read said keep them close.  If I go to update system it comes back and says none requires. I’ve now installed on iPad, same issue.    

ive got the Xfinity WiFi router which I believe is dual and but haven’t looked at it.   I work from home and spend all day on the network with large file transfers, zooms we have many devices on the network no issues.    

This is nothing to do with network speed or moving data.  Do you have any network devices other than router?  Extenders, access points, mesh?  Nothing else on your network requires constant communication between multiple devices and there is a problem communicating with this Play:1.

Please would you look in About My System.  Each of your speakers will have either WM=0 or WM=1 next to it.  What do yours have please?

It may just be that your Play:1 has gone faulty.

But when I said you were going about things the wrong way I meant that you seemed to be trying to add the Play:1s to your Playbar room by giving them the same room name.  It doesn’t work like that.  The three speakers all initially go into different rooms with unique names.  You then go into the surround settings for the Playbar and “Add Surrounds”.  The Play:1s then lose their separate identity and you just have one Home Theatre ‘room’.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

This is nothing to do with network speed or moving data.  Do you have any network devices other than router?  Extenders, access points, mesh?  Nothing else on your network requires constant communication between multiple devices and there is a problem communicating with this Play:1.

Hey John,  no repeaters, extenders nothing like that.  It’s odd I have the same equipment here as I did in the old place where I had no issue. 

I don’t see an about me option on speakers.  Where is that

Which device is your controller on? 

In general, it’s under Settings>System>About My System

Can I just confirm the nature of the problem(s) right now?  Is the only problem that you cannot add the Play:1, or are you unable to connect to and use the whole system?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Can I just confirm the nature of the problem(s) right now?  Is the only problem that you cannot add the Play:1, or are you unable to connect to and use the whole system?

Thanks John for all your help.   I tried again this morning,  had a couple of bumps and got it all setup following your initial guidance.   Not sure why the App was giving me a difficult time yesterday connecting for install but not updates.