Freesat surround sound

• 12 February 2023
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hello

i have just swapped out a SKY Q box for a freesat 4K box. Unfortunately, I only get stereo PCM now. 
Freesat say that surround is possible:

Yes, our 4K TV Boxes are designed so that you can connect an audio device to your Set Top Box using your own optical cable.

Connect one end of the optical cable to your audio device and plug the other end into the optical socket on the back of the Box.

There is a setting on the box where you can select ‘surround’ for the optical connection.

As this was a like for like swap I was hoping it would be straight forward.  I still get surround sound through Apple TV.  I have tried connecting the freesat box using:

1 hdmi = works ok but only pcm stereo

2 hdmi + beam optical adapter = no picture

3 hdmi + beam optical adapter and another hdmi cable = as 1

4 hdmi and optical cable = as 1

I have a Samsung tv with a connection hub (Samsung One Connect).  Devices connect to this and the there is an eArc connect to the beam.

I feel that I’ve missed something.  Any clues appreciated.

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I do not own a Freesat device. From the text above and other sources (like https://www.avforums.com/threads/freesat-4k-recorder-arris-no-surround-sound-and-signal-loss-over-cat6-to-projector.2410503/) it looks like the Freesat 4k only does surround through optical. This would mean you need to connect it via HDMI to your TV’s Connect box and via optical to the Beam (using the supplied adapter). This would unfortunately also mean there’s no way you could play the sound from your TV (Netflix app etc.) to the Beam.

You could ask your supplier about this.