Answered

Extending TV audio into kitchen celing speakers

• 3 January 2023
  • 3 replies

Hi I see similar questions answered here and here but just wanted to double check.

We have a living room with at tv and arc sound bar and are considering installing ceiling speakers in the kitchen which extends back behind the couch that is the main TV viewing area. The ceiling speakers would be both for music and for extending the TV audio into the kitchen.

The idea is that instead of needing to turn up the soundbar loud enough to hear it well in the kitchen / dining area (which can also see the TV), we could play the audio through the ceiling speakers (which would be connected to an AMP). However, reading previous forums, it appears that this will result in the audio in the ceiling speakers being out of sync with the soundbar.

In this post, someone mentions

> You could use an optical connection instead of Arc.  Use a splitter to split the optical audio to the Beam and Amp to play the same audio at the same time, 2 ungrouped rooms.  This gets more complicated though.

Has anybody tried this? 

I also notice in this post, somebody mentions

> I have the Arc/Sub/Play:1 setup in my living room and a Sonos One in my kitchen and there is no noticeable delay.

So maybe it’s worth a shot? It just feels risky to spend $1200 on an AMP / ceiling speaker combo without knowing if I’ll have noticeable delay when extending the TV.

Any advice for determining whether my setup will have perceptible delay?

icon

Best answer by 106rallye 3 January 2023, 21:04

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

If the kitchen speakers are far enough form the living the delay will not be very relevant. I have a Sonos One in my kitchen and I regularly group it with my Beam for TV sound.

@106rallye thanks! If I may ask, how far away is your kitchen speaker from your Beam?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

It’s a C-shaped open plan kitchen, where the kitchen is the upper horizontal bar of the C and the living room is the lower horizontal bar. They are probably 15m apart, following the curve of the C.