Skip to main content
Answered

Era100 surround pairing and Stereo pairing

• 13 November 2023
  • 1 reply

Hi all,

i have just purchased the Beam Gen 2 sound bar and Sub Mini and just added a pair of Sonos ERA 2’s that I want to use for stereo sound and surround sound.

It appears that if I want to listen to music and I have the speakers paired and set up as surround speakers I have to unpair as surrounds and the re-pair as Stereo speakers! That is insane!

Anyone else aware of this and is there any future updates from Sonos that will resolve this?

Thanks

Paul

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

It’s really not insane if you understand what’s going on. In surround configuration, the radios are reconfigured to a one-way dedicated 5 GHz connection from the Beam to the surrounds to maintain the reliable, low latency connection which is needed to sync with video.  This requires a series of handshakes to get right, which is why adding surrounds takes a bit of time.  The reverse happens when the surrounds are removed.  So therefore, a quick toggle is not possible.  They could place a hot button that does the add surrounds/remove surrounds at the touch of the button, but that is not going to speed up the actual process, and doesn’t save much from the system menu commands we have today.

There is a surround setting that allows you to have Full volume from the surrounds for music sources.  The Beam will still be in play, but you will get full volume for the surrounds when streaming music with the Sonos app.