Answered

Era 300 Surround Placement - How Bad an Idea is This?

• 14 June 2023
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
  • Trending Lyricist I
  • 11 replies

I’m adding a pair of Era 300’s as rear surrounds (to a Sonos Arc + Sub). Our couch is against the back wall (has to be that way given the room). There are also window wells on the back wall (on either side of the couch). The wells are approximately 10 inches deep, 30 inches wide, and 23 inches tall. From a room aesthetics point of view it would be ideal to use them (as opposed to drilling/mounting on the rear wall).

How “bad” would it be to set the Era 300’s in those wells (roughly centered)? See attached picture.

FWIW, I have them installed there now and to me it sounds good (i.e., sound is directional/immersive). Just wondering if I’m potentially trading off much better sound given this placement.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 15 June 2023, 11:20

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @GDaz 

Thanks for your post!

If they sound good to you, then that sounds good to me!

Joking aside, I would say they are a bit higher than is ideal, but you have to work with what you have. - I don’t think that position will be of hinderance to the speakers, and you already mentioned that it sounds immersive, which is the effect you’re after.

If you either have an iOS device, or can borrow one for 5 minutes, then I recommend performing TruePlay on your setup.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thank you Corry. I really appreciate your response.

I should have mentioned that I did run TruePlay, and so my listening experience is based on that.

Which sparks another thought...I’m curious to know whether the settings/adjustments that TruePlay makes are visible to me as a user. The reason I ask (and I’m not sure I’m thinking about this correctly), is that it would be interesting to know if TruePlay is having to make (e.g., “max out”) any setting(s) which might indicate that the speaker is misplaced or in an otherwise challenging environment. In other words, looking to get a “confidence level” from TruePlay that the speaker(s) are performing well in the environment.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @GDaz 

There is no such feedback available, no. I also don’t know if it would even be possible to quantify what’s being done in order to display it, but you could certainly create a new thread here on the Community requesting the feature.

If you don’t mind feeling discombobulated for a while (at least, that’s how I remember feeling after reading), you may find the following (fairly technical) article written by one of our audio engineers of interest: https://tech-blog.sonos.com/posts/trueplay-spectral-correction/