era 300 center driver

• 27 February 2024
  • 4 replies

I’m new to the family of Sonos, and I went all out much to my wife’s dismay lol

Bur the dismay quickly turned to be mine when I discovered that I can’t use the center driver when listening to music. I don’t watch TV, and this purchase was exclusively for music.

I feel like it should have been made clear to music only users that the center drivers won’t work. I didn’t see that anywhere when I first started looking in to buying them.

im finding it so hard to wrap my head around that we, the buyer and user - are not given the freedom to choose if we want to use the center driver for music!

this feels very controlling and is not fair to us lovers. 

I see many topics have been made about this issue, but all of them have been closed, this sucks :( 

4 replies

Userlevel 7

Are you using the Era 300s as surrounds with an Arc or Beam? The front-facing driver on the Era 300 is only disabled when it is being used as a surround speaker.

Yes I am, that’s the issue, I want the center drivers going 

Userlevel 7

Sonos engineers have determined that having the center drivers disabled on the Era 300s sounds better especially with Dolby Atmos and 5.1 audio. If you are primarily just listening to music, you should return the 300s and use a pair of Fives as surrounds instead.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Sonos engineers have determined that having the center drivers disabled on the Era 300s sounds better especially with Dolby Atmos and 5.1 audio. If you are primarily just listening to music, you should return the 300s and use a pair of Fives as surrounds instead.

Or detach them from surrounds duty and move to a “traditional” location in front of the listening position. 

@Woodlake91 If you don’t watch tv and bought speakers for music listening, why did you buy an Arc, and why did you set up a home cinema surround sound system?