Answered

Era 100 as surrounds…. or stick with Play:1s?

• 30 November 2023
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I bought an ‘immersive set’ through a black Friday deal and I am delighted with my beam sound bar & mini-sub. However I haven’t opened the Era100s yet as surrounds as i thought I would try my old gen 2 Play:1s first.  I didn’t know these could be used until after ordering - bad research!

it seems the surround set up leaves the Era 100s rather ‘dumb’ - and the sound quality improvements over the play’s just isn’t material in this arrangement.  Would folks agree? It seems like a waste.  I’m tempted to pass on the Era’s.

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 30 November 2023, 07:00

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

There’s no question the Era’s are the better speakers. As you say when they are used surrounds this extra quality will probably not really shine because of the limited role of surrounds. Playing music (surrounds set on “Full” in the app) will be different though, because then the surrounds will do full stereo.

Ultimately your choice depends on your use case and, most importantly, your findings while listening to them. Try the Era’s and trust your ears!

Userlevel 7

The Era 100 has an extra tweeter and bigger woofer so it will give you a wider soundstage and better bass than the Play:1s.

Test out both speakers. That’s the only way you’ll know for sure.