Skip to main content
Answered

Echo when playing surround after a while

• 20 February 2022
  • 13 replies

Hi. 
I own Sonos beam + 2x SL One as surround sound system connected to TV (thru hdmi). All speakers are connected to internet thru wifi (router has channel 11, sonosNet also 11). 

Randomly during day, while watching movies or youtube videos (philips android TV), one or both ( i cannot say just from listening) SL speakers delays few ms themselves and we can notice annoying echo there. 

From my investigation a solution for me is to go to Sonos app → Settings → Surround Audio - switch Off and On again. And this helps. 

I sent diagnostics logs today (nr. 1146608852 , nr. 2094903246 ). 

Can somebody investigate this and help me what can cause this issues? Sometimes happen 4-5x per day. 

I have all my 3 devices in same room (grouped to one room virtually as well). 

Did you ‘disable WiFi’ on the Beam? If so, turn it back on again. 

No. Wifi is enabled on all 3 speakers

Try moving SonosNet to channel 1 or 6. 

You say SonosNet is on channel 11. Is the Beam wired to the network?

Try moving SonosNet to channel 1 or 6. 

Won’t help with satellites. They should be on 5GHz.

@matmatmat Are there any other devices near the Beam or One SLs that could be causing interference?

Well. More devices are in room. But what can interference with them? Cannot this be investigate from my diagnostics log? I have no idea what can cause this problem

Try this:

Unbond the One SLs from the Beam and unplug all of them from power for a couple of minutes. Reboot your router. Plug them back in and bond the One SLs to the Beam as surrounds again.

Is it just a random try or it’s connected to some known issue this approach? 

Is it just a random try or it’s connected to some known issue this approach? 

Rebooting those devices can potentially clear out any software or network problems that could be causing the issue.

Ok I’ll try it. But anyway i’d appreciate admins could investigate real issue cause from my logs ;)

Hi @matmatmat 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Your Beam is continuously having to change the 5GHz WiFi channel it’s using to communicate with the surround speakers. This is most likely the cause of the issue you experience, and is likely, in turn, to be caused by a nearby device also transmitting on 5GHz - most likely your router or a WiFi access point/extender.

Judging by the signal strength your Beam receives from the router, I’m guessing they’re close to each other - if this is the case, please separate them by as much distance as is practical, and by no less than 1 metre (3 feet).

If relocating your router didn’t help, then I recommend you tell your router to not switch 5GHz channels automatically, and instead stay on one specified channel. Your Beam will then choose another.

I hope this helps.