echo dot 3 rd gen & Sonos Beam setting up

• 30 November 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Just bought Sonos Beam, sound is brilliant but mic is poor. We have a Sonos One controlled by Amazon echo dot, it was set up by a friend and works perfectly. I bought the beam and a  3 rd gen echo dot hoping it would be ok. I am about to give up and return the both after a very frustrating few hours trying to get it sorted. Unfortunately the friend who set the Sonos one and dot up is no longer around to help. I’ve asked a couple of others with mixed views ...no it can’t be done is the last view. The main reason for the echo dot controlling it is the Beam is in a unit under the tv, and mic reception is very poor. Any advice appreciated, I need to sort it quickly or I’ll just send it back for a refund.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

First question-.... why do you use a Dot with the Sonos One? 

But let's go with that for the moment. Can you command the Beam using the existing Dot by specifying the room name of the Beam?

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

We use the dot with the Sonos One as it’s placed right next to were we sit and the Sonos is on a shelf on other side of lounge. It’s much easier to speak to, before we had the dot we had to shout to get the a Sonos to responded. I don’t quite get giving the room name, I’ve de registered the Sonos one now and removed it, never had to give a room name for it, just give Alexa command. As much as we are amazed at the excellent sound from the Beam when used with the TV setting it up is not easy,  I’m giving it another go this morning, if no go it’s going back to John Lewis, and I’ll get a standard sound bar. Thanks for help.

So is this the same Echo Dot that you used for the One.  Are you expecting it just to transfer its functionality to the the Beam without your doing anything?

Your Beam has a room name in your Sonos system - even if i is just ‘Beam’.

Try asking Alexa to ‘discover devices’ and then give an instruction along the lines of ‘Play (something) on (room name for Beam)’.

With so little detail it is hard to know if that will work.

Presumably you will be looking for a replacement sound bar with built in Alexa, as you can use the Beam without Alexa?

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Yes it’s the same echo dot, no I wasn’t expecting it to transfer it without doing anything. I have reset it, the beam shows up as Sonos Beam in the Sonos App, I’ve tried the discover devices with no luck.   I’ve had enough of it now, it’s in process of being packed to return it today.  I’ll get a another sound bar just for the TV without Alexa. I may get a SL to pair up with the One while the cheaper deal is on, and look more into setting them up as a stereo pair, still using Alexa on the dot to command.  Oh and get someone in to set it up. I do know I can use the beam without Alexa, but that’s not what I wanted. Thanks for the advice, it is appreciated. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

The beams gone back, replaced with Canton sound bar just for TV use. I completely messed up all my Sonos One and Echo Dot set up, managed to get it all working again. I don't find it easy using the app at all. Anyway I've a Sonos SL coming today to pair up with the Sonos One in stereo. I take it I just install the SL using the Sonos app and pair it to the one. I've never bothered with the True play thing before,always seemed a bit of a gimmick. I am though going to give it a go with the one & SL . Do I do each speaker individually or as a stereo pair.  Last question is would a sub be overkill with this setup.