Skip to main content

My Smart TV is about 120 feet from my rack of Sonos Amps. I only need to send audio from the TV back to the Sonos AMP.  I have Cat 7 lines run from the TV to the rack. I have two speakers at the TV connected to the Sonos Amp.

My question is what it the best method to get sound from the TV to the Sonos Amp knowing I will need an extender between the Cat 7 of some sort:

eARC HDMI extender

ARC HDMI extender

Digital Coax extender

CAT7 is a scam unless you live in a data center. CAT6 and CAT6e are real standards and suitable for all non-data center usage.

Thanks, do you have an opinion on how best to send sound from the TV to the amp?

You are going to need a long HDMI link, finding a cable of that length that doesn’t distort the HDMI signals will be interesting.

I’d pay the money to get a professional to come out and install, and key, warranty the cable.

On second thought… No I wouldn't, I’d move the Amp close to the TV, maybe even mount it on the back of it.

You mean to use something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Expert-Connect-Extender-Cat5e-Ethernet/dp/B018WS7TIC?th=1

Could work, but be sure it also needs to work with HDMI-ARC (depending on your use case eARC). Amazon does not mention this.

@CRJINLACA,

If you have visions of future surround sound for this TV, you need an HDMI-eARC over CAT connection to AMP. Currently, these are relatively rare and expensive. For your current project you only need to forward stereo audio to AMP. Quick and easy: TV optical output to stereo converter → balun → CAT-5-6-7 → balun → AMP.

Here’s an all in one kit. These are not the cheapest guys in town, but it’s a solid company. Note that only one end needs to be powered. This will be convenient at the TV end because you would not need to fuss with a power supply(s) at that end.

Thanks, it’s only stereo. I’ve used HDMI extenders over Cat 6 to send video, just trying to see if I can use an audio only extender - dig coax or optical. I will never need to send video. 

Read “Arc” where you said “Amp”. You know the Amp does not do eARC, only Arc?

To be annoyingly pedantic, the Amp does ARC only. The Arc does eARC and ARC.

ARC stands for Audio Return Channel. eARC is enhanced Audio Return Channel. 

Arc is the name of Sonos’ speaker. 

Hi

Question…

What audio are you trying to send from the TV to your Amp that can’t be streamed via the Amp without involving your TV.

The TV is outside with two wired speakers above it. I would like to send the audio from the TV(Hulu, YouTube TV) back to the Sonos Amp which is in a rack about 120 feet away. I have used ARC HDMI extenders  like this https://www.avaccess.com/products/4kex40-earc-hdmi-extender/?gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuPGUjLb-ggMVNA2tBh07fATSEAAYASAAEgJBGvD_BwE

to move both audio and video bi-directionally. At this point I only need to move the audio signal from the TV back to the Sonos Amp, and was wondering if anyone has used Toskink or digital Coax extenders to send the audio signal back to the amp over Cat 6. The run is too long for HDMI. 

Here’s a quickie analog extenter. And a quickie TOSLINK converter that can use USB power. I have no experience with either unit.