Skip to main content
Answered

Dolby Atmos with ceiling speakers

• 9 October 2023
  • 3 replies

I would like to put in a place a Dolby Atmos sound system for a 98" TV going into a cinema room. Sonos eARC has been recommended but I would like to know if the rear speakers in the set up can be Sonos ceiling speakers as opposed to freely placed ones.

Many thanks,

N

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Technically you could use in ceiling speakers. These will however not do Atmos, only surround, so the only Atmos you'll get would be from the Arc soundbar. The only Sonos rear speakers that do Atmos are the Era 300's.

Even surround speakers should be placed on ear height, so I'd personally not use in ceilings.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Atmos, with either up-firing or down-firing speakers for the height channels, requires you to limit the height you set you side and rear surround channels to ensure decent separation from the 5.1/7.1 ‘bed’ layer and the overhead immersive layer.

With such a large TV you are going to have to compromise placement of the Soundbar or have the TV set higher than is ideal for most seating arrangements.

And, not to mention (oh, wait, I am) Sonos doesn’t support Atmos ‘side’ channels.