Answered

Dolby Atmos with Beam 2 and One SLs as surrounds

• 5 February 2024
  • 6 replies

My home theatre setup is Beam Gen 2 with Sub Gen 2 and two One SLs as surrounds. 

I use Apple Music as main streaming service and have listened to various Atmos tracks which sound very good and I like the difference in sound quality and the remix seem to make good use of the One SLs as well as the Beam 2. 

How can this be when only the Beam 2 supports Atmos? If I were to replace the One SLs with ERA 300s would there be an even better uplift in sound quality?

icon

Best answer by Schlumpf 5 February 2024, 23:12

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I don’t understand your question. You say you have a Beam Gen 2 and you ask “How can this be when only the Beam 2 supports Atmos?” 

Apologies for lack of clarity. My question is about the fact that my home theatre system consists of a Beam V2, a Sub V2 and two One SLs but only the Beam 2 supports Atmos. When I listen to Atmos tracks is it only the Beam 2 that’s producing the Atmos output? What quality is coming from the One SLs. 

Apologies for lack of clarity. My question is about the fact that my home theatre system consists of a Beam V2, a Sub V2 and two One SLs but only the Beam 2 supports Atmos. When I listen to Atmos tracks is it only the Beam 2 that’s producing the Atmos output? What quality is coming from the One SLs. 

The Beam is playing the Atmos content.  The Ones are playing the rear surrounds. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@gogscurrie 

With the Beam2 being the master device of your home theater setup the whole setup is atmos ready. The Beam does the decoding and delivers each channel information to the bonded sub and rearspeakers. So they for themselfes on their own don’t have to be atmos ready. 
But the Era300 although are… the Era100 aren’t, but used as rearspeakers both Era models are optimized for atmos playback, because they are able to play separated atmos rear channels they get from the master device. 
In cse of Era300 all rear channels are real… Era100 just play the back rear channel real and the back hights and back side channel  just are vitualized.

Sonos One(SL) does no such separation but plays all of these atmos rear channels in combination. 

So yes… imho also just a pair of Era100 as rears (with optimized positioning and room conditions) will be an atmos upgrade to a pair of One(SL). But probably just a small upgrade and I‘m not sure, if everybody will be convinced of the difference. 
Just buy and try… 😉

lol. Just buy and try with Sonos equipment is as you know not going to be a cheap option. I’ve arranged to go and listen to ERA 300s at a Sonos dealer in Edinburgh as surrounds and also as a pair of standard front right and left system speakers. I’ll feedback my findings. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@gogscurrie 

No joke… as your profile says you live in the uk. And there you obviously also profit from a 100 days money back guarantee like we do in Germany. 
https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/shipping-faq

So you could buy the speakers and test them at home without any risks. 

And just to be said… if you buy a pair of Era300 you can of course configure them as a stereo pair, but NOT as front speakers within a home theater setup. A Sonos soundbar in any case combines at least the center and front channel drivers in itself.