Answered

Dolby Atmos, or not?

• 29 February 2024
  • 2 replies

I have Sonos ARC, Sonos SUB and 2 IKEA Symfonisk as Rear.

(Looking at Netflix in AppleTV connected to Samsung Q95 tv, connected to Sonos ARC with HDMI-eARC)

The app says i got Dolby Atmos (like the picture). One guy says that i need to have 2 Sonos ERA300 as rear to get Atmos. And the app is just fool me. 

is it so? What is right?

icon

Best answer by Mr. T 29 February 2024, 11:11

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7

Your existing setup can play Atmos. The height audio is only coming from the upfiring speakers in the Sonos Arc.

If you added Era 300 as surrounds, height audio would also be output by them, in addition to the Sonos Arc, therefore the Atmos effect is greater,  but that doesn’t mean you are not playing Atmos currently. Believe what the app tells you.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

One up your friend, tell him it isn’t “real” Atmos until you have all 64 speakers it supports.

Actually this is more helpful.

In Dolby Atmos, by contrast, sound can be freed from channels. It enables artists to treat specific sounds as individual entities, called audio objects. These can be precisely placed and moved by the soundtrack creator anywhere in the cinema's three-dimensional space