Skip to main content

Hi Sonos Community,

Looking for some help please, I’m trying to get Dolby Digital 5.1 to play through my setup and to show up on the Sonos app.

The two input messages I keep getting on the Sonos App under “Line In” is either Stereo or Silence 2.0, not Dolby 5.1.

Here is a rundown of the equipment I own & how it’s all put together.

1 x Sony PS4 - Audio Output set to Dolby Digital 5.1 - Running Latest Firmware
1 x Sony TV KD - 43XD8099 - 2016 Model - Running Latest firmware
2 x Audio Quest Cinnamon HDMI Cables - 4k/8k, Ultra HD / HDR / Ethernet / eARC

1 x Sonos PlayBar - Hard Wired into Router - Fibre Optic connection from TV to Playbar
1 x Sonos Amp - Hardwired to my Netgear Night Hawk Router - HDMI from TV to Amp
4 x Sonos Sonauce In Ceiling Speakers acting as Surrounds & Stereo when listening to Music

The PS4 is directly plugged into the TV’s HDMI Port 3 which is the ARC port, then from HDMI Port 2, I connect another HDMI cable into the Sonos AMP.

I’m unsure If the HDMI Port 2 is ARC supported, does anyone know if this needs to be?

I also can’t seem to find any options within the TV that obviously says “allow Dolby 5.1 Passthrough”

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The HDMI-ARC port should be connected to the Arc. The PS4 to one of the other HDMI ports.

If we at least start from there we can take another look.

Hello John B,

Thank you for you’re reply.

I had the HDMI connections wrong from the get go..!

So to clarify, I now have the PS4 plugged into HDMI Port2 and the Sonos Amp is now connected through the Arc HDMI port 3, see Pic attached.

The Room on my sonos is called TV Room (+LS+RS)

I am using Star Wars Rise of Skywalker as my source material & this has Dolby 5.1 selected in the audio options.

I have had some information back from Sony regarding what to set the TV too, but it doesn’t seem too helpful really, I’ve included the links here to see if its useful to anyone.

https://helpguide.sony.net/tv/daep1/v1/en/04-04_02.html?hl=dolby
https://helpguide.sony.net/tv/daep1/v1/en/04-04_01.html 

So when playing the film I would expect to see Dolby5.1 displayed within the sonos app, is this correct?

It currently displays as Stereo

Thanks for the assistance.

It looks like you are using directional HDMI cables, and HDMI 3 is connected backwards.  Even though you are getting audio OUT of the Audio Return Channel, HDMI input is still an input, and the arrows on your cable should be towards the input. The audio is flowing reverse of the normal video flow, hence why it’s called a return channel.

Hello Melvimbe,

this is great info, I was assuming with it being a return channel, that the arrow would indicate that I was sending the signal out the tv into the Sonos amp, hence the way I connected it up the way I did.

I will make adjustments and update here with my results.

Thanks,

So for an update,

I am still only getting Stereo 2.0 in the “Audio In”.

So another observation, even though the Sonos PlayBar and the Sonos Amp are connected, which is why I get the Amp Labeled as (LS+RS) I’ve never see an indication in the Amps “Audio In” under the About my Sonos.

I have also uploaded a selection of images from the various sound options I have on my TV:

Once again thanks for any help

Why do I not see any indication on the TV set itself that any of those HDMI ports are actually ARC? Is the designation hidden by the cables?

n1choals,

In the last photo - the digital audio out is set to PCM, is the other option ‘Bitstream’? - if so, choose Bitstream.

The Sony TV manual says HDMI-ARC is port 3, so that appears to be okay, but note that not all ‘Active HDMI’ (directional) cables are ARC compatible … so check that the cable is compatible. If in doubt, try a passive bi-direction HDMI cable.

Hello Airgetlam,

appreciate you looking over this too.

You are correct, the cable is actually blocking the arc lettering printed on the tv on port3.

Hello Ken,

great solution, by changing from PCM to “Auto1” I have had success in getting Dolby Digital 5.1 to play if I use my Apple TV 4K, which is really great news, but its leading me to believe this could actually be a PS4 issue.

So on the PS4, I have two options of outputting audio, HDMI & Fibre Optic, when you select fibre optic a sub menu is presented allowing the following to be checked, Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS 5.1 & AAC

When you select HDMI there is no sub menu, making me think DD5.1 can’t be sent over hdmi from the PS4?!

As a side note I’ve also noted that the Sonos App needs restarting to show the correct audio format being played, this is especially noticeable if I’m switching from the PS4 and the Apple TV.

Again, thanks for all the help.

N1choals,

I think you may need to power off (completely) the PS4 for a minute or so ..and on powering it on again, it should (hopefully) do the HDMI ‘handshake’ again with the connected equipment and then give you the options for surround sound over HDMI, so perhaps try that.

I have the exact same problem. All 5.1 material is being “downgraded” to Dolby 2.0 in Arc. Dolby Atmos material is playing perfectly. My setup is:

Apple TV → LG B9 → Sonos Arc.

The funky thing is, when I use the apps installed on LG (Netflix, even the Apple TV app) I get Dolby Digital 5.1 exactly as I should. Is this an Apple TV 4K problem?

I have the exact same problem. All 5.1 material is being “downgraded” to Dolby 2.0 in Arc. Dolby Atmos material is playing perfectly. My setup is:

Apple TV → LG B9 → Sonos Arc.

The funky thing is, when I use the apps installed on LG (Netflix, even the Apple TV app) I get Dolby Digital 5.1 exactly as I should. Is this an Apple TV 4K problem?

Yes it’s an issue with Apple TV, as it uses a codec not (yet) supported by the Arc called multichannel LPCM - you will need to change the ATV audio-out to Dolby Digital 5.1 (or DD+ Atmos - if that’s in the list of codecs) just for the time being.

It was mentioned by Staff here that Sonos do plan to support the LPCM codec at some point in a future update - so perhaos also keep a lookout for that update.  

Hi Ken,

Thanx … I can only choose between Dolby Digital 5.1 and Stereo on ATV out, so it disables the Atmos option. So. Because of this missing LPCM-support, I have to choose between Atmos and DD5.1 is that correct?

I am almost certain this was not the case, when I connected the Arc in july. I manager to get both 5.1 and Atmos back then.

Peter

Hi Ken,

Thanx … I can only choose between Dolby Digital 5.1 and Stereo on ATV out, so it disables the Atmos option. So. Because of this missing LPCM-support, I have to choose between Atmos and DD5.1 is that correct?

I am almost certain this was not the case, when I connected the Arc in july. I manager to get both 5.1 and Atmos back then.

Peter

Yes that’s correct too Peter, one of the LG firmware updates revealed the issue (I have the same on my C9 TV), but Sonos have mentioned they will fix the matter at their end. So I would just use the ATV Dolby 5.1 option until the LPCM update is put in place.

So I just thought I’d update this thread as I have now managed to get Dolby 5.1 to show up under the Sonos system app.

This is visible when I use my Apple TV4k & Play games such as battlefield V.

Ken I believe you were correct in that powering off the console seemed to have forced it to work.

So all in all very happy.

Thanks for all the help.

Nick