Answered

Does a Sonos Playbar work with Atmos?

• 26 November 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge

I have a perfectly functioning Playbar that still sounds beautiful. When I bought it about 10 years ago, it was a requirement as a hub to the entire Sonos system, though I get the impression that the S2 software upgrade got rid of that requirement.

Anyway, I’m interested in upgrading my system to get the best out of ATMOS. Can I use my beloved Playbar, or must I upgrade it to Arc? I’ve got 2 Play:5 as the back speakers but I feel that they take over the whole listening experience, ie they dominate the sound. Should I replace them with Era 100 or Era 300?

The long and the sort of it: what should I buy/upgrade to get a great ATMOS experience with my existing Sonos system?

icon

Best answer by 106rallye 26 November 2023, 11:01

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Atmos needs processing even more  than it needs extra speakers. The Arc has the extra speakers and the processing, the Beam (Gen 2) only has the processing. The Playbar has neither, as it was designed way before Atmos at home was a thing. Nothing to do with S2. Also you still need a soundbar (or Amp) for homecinema with Sonos.

So to get Atmos you at least need a Beam (Gen 2). Your existing system cannot do Atmos at all, let alone provide a “great Atmos experience”. So you would need to replace the Playbar with a Beam (Gen 2). You do run the risk the Play 5’s will be even more overbearing than though - and they do not do Atmos, so Atmos from the rear speakers would stil be absent.

Since you are coming form the Playbar I’d advise the Arc, and probably a Sub (since I’ve read the bass on the Playbar is better than the bass on the Arc), bonded with Era 300’s as surrounds. This would mean replacing you current system, rather than only upgrading it though.

Badge

Thank you for a very clear answer. I’ll bite the bullet and do the replacement. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Lots of fun places to move the Playbar, consider on top of the kitchen cabinets.

My Beam got exiled to a bathroom where it sounds great.