Skip to main content
Question

Distorted sound from arc soundbar

• 21 June 2024
  • 4 replies

Hello,

I need some help. Our Sonos system is currently giving us issues with one TV show in particular, which is strange. Whenever we watch The Walking Dead the ARC soundbar gives us this terrible distorted sound which kind of sounds like a speaker is blown whenever there is a scene with growling, shooting or fighting. We cannot figure it out because it works just fine with any other movie or tv show with shooting or loud noises. Can someone please help? Has anyone ever had an issue like this before?

4 replies

I registered for an account just to respond to this. I am having the exact same issue with the exact same show. My wife and I thought the speaker was messed up but we couldn't duplicate the issue outside of The Walking Dead. It only happens during intense sequences (fighting, fires) and it sounds awful. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

If it’s only related to one specific show then it’ll be the way the show has been encoded and is highly unlikely to be correctable by Sonos. I’d be surprised if it’s every series - I wonder if you and the original complainant are watching the same (early?) episode(s), and things in fact improve with later encoding…?

Have you tried turning on speech enhancement or night mode for the Arc, just for this show, in case either of those take the edge off the sound issues…?

Those are great suggestions, Rhonny. I'll take a look at some of those options and see if it makes a difference. My comment was mostly to let the OP know they weren't losing their mind. I agree that it's an unrealistic expectation for Sonos to find a solution that's unique to one specific program unless it points to some underlying issue.

In my case, it's the later episodes. We just purchased the ARC and noticed it while watching the first handful of episodes in season 11. The distortion, and magnitude of the noise, appear to be independent of the program volume. Turning down the volume doesn't seem to make the abnormal noise any quieter as far as I can recall, but I'll confirm that later.

I appreciate the suggestions!

The challenge (from a Sonos perspective) is that it’s only one show. If it were a software issue, it would be expected to be happening across the board on all shows and movies. Although I would definitely submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your network and Sonos system.