Answered

creating a surround group with a beam gen 2 and two era 100 speakers

• 14 April 2024
  • 3 replies

Just got my Beam Gen 2 and two Era 100 speakers home yesterday, and installed them on out TV.  Obviously, excited about the Plug-and-Pray process I was about to embark on, knowing full well it wouldn't work, but up for the challenge.

After 3 hours of constant speaker resets, adding and removing speakers, etc. Etc. - still no surround sound, regardless of the sound source (Dolby atmosphere, etc.)  The speakers go through the process of creating the Surround group, and I get the confirmation in the app (and that great sound to confirm) then when you check the two Era 100 spealers in the System tab in the app, they show as not connected.  No sound, no connection - nothing.

I'll close out that I'm not an audio wizard, but I have worked in the IT & AI industry for 30 years, and aside from the app being super not user friendly, I have gone down every rathole there is to resolve, and so far I have a Beam that works, and two expensive book-ends either side of my TV..…

Any advice from you Sonos veterans?

icon

Best answer by nik9669a 14 April 2024, 14:20

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

As you’ve tried setup multiple times, try powering off Beam , Eras and your router. Reboot router and when it’s fully running, restart your Beam. When it’s fully running, start the Eras. If this solves it, consider setting reserved ip addresses to avoid future ip address conflicts. 
Check in the app - under Settings/System/roomname you should see something like

roomname (LS+RS)

If not, the Eras may not be bonded to the Beam as surrounds. 

nik9669a - thanks for that reply.  I'll go ahead and try that, and I'll reserve the IPs up front anyway, just so I remove any doubt from the solution chain.  Appreciate it!

By the way, the ERA 100’s cannot be used as extra L/R front speakers in a surround “Room”, but they can be “Bonded” to the BEAM as surround speakers or used as a simple L/R stereo pair to play music. If you attempt to “Group” this pair with TV audio, you will encounter a latency that is annoying to most listeners. Music play will be time aligned.